Switch from corporate giant to a prop trading firm?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by CMac12, Jun 27, 2007.

1. CMac12

CMac12

i am currently working at a corporate giant in structuring and was offered a job at a prop trading firm. I was going to take the prop trading job, but after reading some posts on here, I'm having to think twice before I do so.

I have a Masters degree in finance from a top tier school, and always wanted to get into trading. anyway the question is, should i take that prop trading job? the prop firm will basically give 6-month training and then it will be followed by a pretty decent commission, but i don't want to be part of a scam where they are using me for overriding commissions on volumes etc... do u think its foolish to join a prop trading firm for someone with an esteemed degree?

many thanks

2. wucah

wucah

yes,

Try getting a job at an I-bank then try moving to their floor.

3. Sounds like the offer is from a real prop firm and not a trading arcade (using the euro term, which should be used in the US as well, for that's what they are).

I would delay the offer and pursue a position at a mid-tier hedge fund or i-bank. Masters from a top-tier gives you a pretty good chance at either.