Swingtrading with options

Discussion in 'Options' started by trader1974, Nov 6, 2019.

1. trader1974

trader1974

I do not understand. If you intend to benefit from the fall of gold, when you buy call if the market goes down you lose money. If you sell a put and the market falls you also lose money.

#41     Nov 11, 2019
  2. Pkay

Pkay

Thanks, yes a vertical debit spread is another choice albeit with limited profit potential.

I'm looking at 90 DTE in order to give a long call or put trade time to breath. If you have a time span that if limited then you are battling theta right away.

#42     Nov 12, 2019
  3. .sigma

.sigma

You're "battling" theta regardless if you buy premo.. If you are confident in your directional bias (which is dangerous) but if so then buy some call verticals with a month to expire.. If price keeps going in your intended direction just re-deploy capital into another call vertical the next month and so on.

#43     Nov 12, 2019
    Pkay likes this.
  4. Pkay

Pkay

OK thanks, that is a good idea. What would happen to three original call vertical once the month is up? I take it that I would sell it before it expired assuming it's in profit?

#44     Nov 12, 2019
  5. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

The call provides protection to a certain degree and the selling of the put if market goes your way acts as partial profit taking.

A bit more and in depth here.

#45     Nov 12, 2019
    trader1974 likes this.
  6. destriero

destriero

Short gold + call = synthetic long put at the call strike. Later put short at a lower strike = synthetic long put vertical.

#46     Nov 12, 2019
  7. Pkay

Pkay

Why a call vertical rather than a straight call?

#47     Feb 26, 2020
  8. CannonTrading_Ilan

take a way some of the time value built in to the options by selling above/ using the market money. You give up possible "extra profit" but I personally believe it is a better way, depending on how much time you are looking to buy, strike prices etc.

#48     Feb 26, 2020
    Pkay likes this.
  9. Pkay

Pkay

Ok thanks. If the underlying didn't get to your strike price then you can still profit using vertical spreads?

By the way, been following your site for a while, great educational content there!

#49     Feb 26, 2020
    CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  10. CannonTrading_Ilan

Thank you!
    The spread will make money if price goes your way as long as there is time left. It is just not as a sensitive both to moves in your favor or against you like outright options. ( smaller delta).

The spread can allow you to get closer to the money since you are financing part of the cost by selling a higher call price.

Here is a better, more articulate explanation:

#50     Feb 26, 2020