Swingtrading with options

Discussion in 'Options' started by trader1974, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Overnight

Overnight

So when the shit hits the fan close to your expiration date, you don't have to close at a loss, (or roll a loss forward?)

#11     Nov 6, 2019
  2. Yes, that's how options work.

#12     Nov 6, 2019
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Right. So hedging futures with options is good, right?

#13     Nov 6, 2019
  4. Seems dumb to buy something just to hedge it but I can understand wanting a flexible stop

#14     Nov 6, 2019
  5. Overnight

Overnight

So why don't you just sell naked puts or calls on natural gas? Why bother hedging that?

Don't be this guy. Go bass fishing.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    #15     Nov 6, 2019
    BlueWaterSailor and TooEffingOld like this.
  6. This was the original post. So why trade futures if you're just going to hedge, it doesn't make sense but ok

#16     Nov 6, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Because isn't selling naked puts or calls the same as buying or selling unhedged futures? @destriero Need some help on this one.

#17     Nov 6, 2019
  8. Seems to me like futures+options it's the same as buying/selling two options but now you're going across markets which is fun.

#18     Nov 6, 2019
  9. Overnight

Overnight

The sticking point was about hedging. How is buying two options, or selling two options, the same as hedging, and how does that equate buying or selling a future unhedged?

Sincerely yours,

Confused.

#19     Nov 6, 2019
  10. I buy naked options all the time. I don't see why buying naked futures is problematic. But I don't trade futures, so I am speaking from complete ignorance, even more so than normal.

#20     Nov 6, 2019
    Pkay likes this.