Swingtrading is better than intraday.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TTT, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TTT

TTT

• with swing trading, it is easy to manage take profits and stop loses because you can actually place your stop loss a bit further away from the market price to avoid getting stopped out prematurely and also your take profit targets a place a bit further away so that your risk to reward ratio are 1:2 or higher.
    • swing trading is much easier to learn and do than day trading
    • trading transaction costs due to spread are much lower than that of day trading because of less trades placed.
    • you have a lot more time to analyse trades and then take trades and therefore swing trading can suit someone who has a day job.
    • swing trading does not take a lot of your time…you can place your trade and walk away instead of baby sitting your trade like in day trading.
    • Swing trading is much less stressful than day trading.
    • Profits made a much larger than in day trading because you let your trades run of more than 1 day so the chance of increased profit much greater than in day trading.
    • Swing trading allows swing traders to ride out the trend for maximum profit extraction using this best trailing stop technique

#31     Jan 21, 2019
  2. cvds16

cvds16

If your good at daytrading it beats swingtrading by a mile in returns ... I made 1500% on my nano-account friday. Today I am up 70%. That's why the people who are really skilled daytrade untill they get into trouble with their size. Daytrading is much harder though ... but it can be done ...

#32     Jan 21, 2019
  3. TTT

TTT

A simple rule of thumb is to look to make at least four times the amount of money you risk on a given trade.

#33     Jan 21, 2019
  4. cvds16

cvds16

it's obvious when you are saying things like that you don't understand how real daytrading works.

#34     Jan 21, 2019
  5. qlai

qlai

@TTT, lots of strategies sound good in theory, but don't deliver in practice. I found no edge in swing trading other than "rising tide lifts all boats" I found it very difficult to do money management because most stocks triggered at the same time (during market pullbacks or over-reactions). I tried adding some short positions for balance and often got burned by both (longs went down while shorts went up). Obviously, just because I didn't find an edge doesn't mean it's not viable. I am simply sharing my experience.

#35     Jan 21, 2019
    Overnight likes this.
  6. cvds16

cvds16

Untill recently I thought swingtrading couldn't be but I stand corrected when I use some of the intraday stuff I am using on bigger tf's it works but be prepared to face large drawdowns. To me it looks like watching paint dry. But don't have a restriction yet on my daytrading size so those are troubles for the future.

#36     Jan 21, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  7. TTT

TTT

Intradia is more difficult for me Screenshot_2019-01-21-19-25-27.png

#37     Jan 21, 2019
  8. cvds16

cvds16

it took me 14 years to come up with a good system ... that alone should be telling something.

#38     Jan 21, 2019
  9. traider

traider

How do you know if your system is good? Did you backtest it? Most single factor models have failed with the rise of quants.

#39     Jan 21, 2019
  10. cvds16

cvds16

It's 4 dimensional so backtesting is a futile endevour. However I see itt working in the markets. Same stuff works on es as well as dax

#40     Jan 21, 2019