swing trading versus day trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by failed_trad3r, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Unfortunately, I am home on my MAC. I do not have my trading system available. I usually have my office computer on to log in remotely. However, this long weekend I turn off my computers.

I do appreciate this thread and will certainly come back to you with an answer soon.

#41     Jan 16, 2010
  2. Hi bighog,

Good question!

I personally don't trade ES and I don't have an ES chart with me but I will give it a try and see if I could answer the question.

The difference between a real signal and a false signal is in where everyone is. Only when everyone got tricked one too many time into thinking there is a reversal, give up and just go with the trend, then there will be a real reversal.

PA

#42     Jan 16, 2010
  3. bighog

bighog Guest

PA, good thought but not correct. Breakout trading (which also treats reversals as breakouts) requires us to take the signals. We only know if the signal will work out AFTER the fact so it is not wise to pick and choose.

Volume does not matter in my quest for reversals either, this whole deal is in the bar itself. KEY reversal bars are unknown until after the bar closes. To work them properly we all know we will only be filled after the bar closes............ Brendan, ok, understood.

Later, shopping time. Heat wave, it is 32 outside :D

PS: I am not saying a breakout trader is required to take every signal. Just saying if we pick and choose we have only ourself to blame if we miss a move by not taking our own signals. OUCH!!!

#43     Jan 16, 2010
  4. Of course, but you are missing the point. Risk taking is a necessary but not sufficient condition for profit.

#44     Jan 16, 2010
  5. My second and last guess will be higher and lower time frame.

PA

#45     Jan 16, 2010
  6. charts

charts

... (no joke) try paper trading :)

#46     Jan 16, 2010
  7. charts

charts

... I believe this to be (very) incorrect :) Firstly: different forces control the market (!)

#47     Jan 16, 2010
  8. charts

charts

... to OP: :) obviously be very careful in (not) following the advice you get on this (and other) boards (including mine :))

#48     Jan 16, 2010
  9. I still don't get what you say. So I take 4 signals???:confused: :mad:

#49     Jan 16, 2010
  10. In my opinion, the better answer is the run both day-trading and swing-trading systems. I run a family of systems diversifying over both markets and timeframes.

Generally, I would expect a swing system to have much better average trade size than a day-trader. Combined with less commission, slip etc. that is a very good thing.

Just one example: my core day-trader makes about 2c per share, while my core swing trader makes about 17c/share. The only thing to be aware of is that I'll be sitting on losing trades much longer in the swing trader; but as long as the stats work out, that OK.

#50     Jan 16, 2010