Swing trading using options

Discussion in 'Options' started by Pkay, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Pkay

Pkay

Thanks for the welcome, really appreciate it!

Yes, I'll happily admit that I am a newbie so your view on the complexity of trading options resonates with me.

I think I'm attracted to options as I've seen 100 lot contracts on highly liquid equities going for less than $100. I suppose these are exactly the type that will more than likely expire worthless?

What instrument or market would you recommend that, with a small account of $2,000, I start trading?

Also, do you mind if I ask you what you trade?

Many thanks!

#21     Feb 5, 2019
  2. Pkay

Pkay

Thanks lindq, I really appreciate your taking time out to educate a newbie like myself. It's much appreciated!

I gather from your replies that you would not advocate a beginner starting out with options. If not, then what would you recommend as a good market or instrument to start trading?

I did look at futures but, with only $2,000 to start with, cannot meet the overnight margins.

#22     Feb 5, 2019
  3. lindq

lindq

You don't trade anything with 2K. And anyone who suggests otherwise is doing a disservice.

What you should do with your 2K is invest it in a good backtesting software package, and spend your time in simulation while you learn. There is a good reason why even the best F1 drivers in the world spend most of their time on a simulator. Same thing with trading.

Your questions on this site should be "how can I learn?" instead of "how should I trade?"

#23     Feb 5, 2019
    comagnum and Overnight like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

With that much money? MGC. That's about it if you want something with liquidity and movement. You could even swing a few contracts with it overnight and not have a heart attack in the morning.

Xela's advice to "swing futures with low capital" is bad advice, because she was very generic there.

#24     Feb 5, 2019
    Pkay likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

This

#25     Feb 5, 2019
  6. Pkay

Pkay

Is this E Micro Gold? If so you're right as the maintenance margin is $340.

Thanks for the heads up. How liquid is this product? I've heard that the E Micro futures are generally desert lands in terms of trading liquidity.

How could I check the liquidity in MGC?

Thanks.

#26     Feb 5, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

MGC is the only micro that I have seen that you can expect to have decent movement, because it exactly tracks the GC (which has decent movement), based on the nature of the contract. All it's specs are exactly the same as GC, just 1/10th the size.

But you have to remember. If yer down to trading MGC, you don't need a whole lot of liquidity, because you're trading for $1 per tick. If you can get really good at reading the GC movement, you will be able to profit on the MGC with your analysis , i.e. $2-3 per tick for a couple of contracts.

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/metals/precious/e-micro-gold_quotes_globex.html

#27     Feb 5, 2019
    Pkay likes this.
  8. Pkay

Pkay

Thanks, that's very useful you know. Couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. When you say that the MGC chart mirrors the GC chart does that mean that you don't get big gaps in the charts due to low liquidity?

2. How about the M6E as an alternative to MGC? This trades off the 6E charts but is also 1/10 is size. How would M6E compare to MGC in terms of liquidity?

Many thanks.

#28     Feb 5, 2019
  9. ironchef

ironchef

You should start with a sim account rather than with real money.

I exclusively trade equity options, no futures, commodities or indices. I started my first trade back in 2013, joined ET in 2014 to learn how to trade.

#29     Feb 5, 2019
    Pkay likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

No, I'm saying that the instruments track each other exactly in price movement. The charts may look a bit different based on what graphics you use. Here's today's example...

mgcforpkay.JPG

I haven't looked at FX futures in over two years. Only thing I recall about the 6E and M6E is I didn't like the patterns/volume as compared to other futures. I reckon' they have changed since then, as the whole world has changed. I just don't know FX.

If you wish to continue the convo on futures, you should start a new thread in the futures section, as this is the options pit of the forum. Everyone here is slick with extra virgin olive oil.

#30     Feb 5, 2019
    Pkay likes this.