swing trading style?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by prunepicker, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Machal

Machal

Does it mean, that he deceieved when he presented his The Chartman's Top Stocks product with claim, that he is up for almost 30% in last six months...

I was considering his product in the midle of the last year and this claim was at his ad...

#11     Mar 7, 2003
  2. i really dont think i lack confidence in my system, after all, i have managed to be moderately profitable...:) Being fairly new at this style of trading,i do feel as though there will be period of evolution and refinement of how i trade..the question i posed concerning "trading just a few indexes vrs. scanning the universe of stocks for your setups", is just the kind of thing i think about in an effort to boost returns.i realize the current choppy environment is probably the main culprit in my lack of trades recently,but i'm trying to think a little more "big picture". i wonder which approach may work better in the long run. i also dont expect anyone to be able to give a definitive answer to such a question,because everyones stye is different,but i value anyones opinion who has also walked this way before. i appreciate your input and everone else who has posted on this thread.thanks for listening....

#12     Mar 7, 2003
  3. lrm21

lrm21

2nd post woot! :D

I think you are still in that stage where you are not sure what works and you like the positives of others systems, and focus on the negatives of yours. You need to reach a stage where you ignore others system and focus on your own.

GBS is a stud, I have read his columns however he trades an account size of between 500K to 1 million, I think he is up to 1 million. He system allows him to put on enough trades to get a nice sampling. I tried to trade his system and quickly realized its useless without his size. However, I did take away some great TA lessons which I still use.

Whether you focus on one market or focus on all stocks the point is focus.

Interesting site. http://www.seykota.com/tribe/FAQ/index.htm

"I must create my own system or be enslaved by another man's." - William Blake

#13     Mar 7, 2003
  4. lindq

lindq

Prune, you mentioned selecting between indexes and a universe of stocks. There is another way, which is to deal with a select list of stocks based on fundamental criteria, before you apply technical considerations. I have found this to be an important key to my trading, and it may work for you.

What kind of trading do you do? Momentum, corrections? Daily, intraday?

David

#14     Mar 7, 2003

5. ive sort of started doing this with the canslim/ ibd stocks......... looking to short weak fundamentals stocks, and go long strong fundamentals stocks, but like you said , waiting for the technical analysis to tell you when to get in.

#15     Mar 7, 2003
  6. he also admitted that his wife who just buys good dow stocks when they hit their low ranges did better than he did last year.lol

#16     Mar 7, 2003
  7. lrm21,

the Seydota link is great, makes me wish I lived close enough to attend the meetings.

#17     Mar 7, 2003
  8. That sounds like a pretty awesome system. How about some more details of how it works?

#18     Mar 7, 2003