Swing trading strategies

Discussion in 'Trading' started by neo_hr, Oct 5, 2001.

1. lescor

lescor

Neo,
    To find old articles by Gary B. Smith do an advanced search by author at thestreet.com. He started writing for them in Sept '97. This article is a good start, outlining the basics of his system, though some of it has changed a little since it was written

http://www.thestreet.com/comment/techtake/742048.html

About managing many open positions: The way I handle this is by entering both a stop and an exit order as soon as I put on the trade. This way, I can forget about it until one of the orders is triggered. You don't have to watch the market all day and it removes emotion from the process. But I like quick turnover and usually take profits at 5%, so if you like to 'let your profits run' you may have to modify this method.

#11     Oct 7, 2001
  2. ddefina

ddefina

The only pain to me is in the morning when some stocks have gapped and you have to make quick decisions, but after the first hour it's not too bad.

#12     Oct 7, 2001
  3. NEO

I suggest goin out and getting the book titled "Dave Landry on Swing Trading" Definitely the best swing trading book on the market and possibly one of the best trading books ever written. You could even buy the software that will scan for his setups using Metastock or Tradestation.

Sterling

#13     Oct 7, 2001
  4. SHORTY

I was very interested by your remarks on shorting. I am still trying to get comfortable with swing trading the short side. I run a bulletin board discussing swing trading, where my long trading approach is presented in some detail together with other discussion.

There are also a few posts dealing with short trades. I would be really greatful if you would visit the board and perhaps present your thoughts on playing the short-side, including the types of setup you use. The board allows graphics to be incorporated in the text. Here is the link.

http://communities.msn.com/ShortTermStockTrading/general.msnw

Others may find it interesting and as this is a general discussion on swingtrading I hope it will excuse this mention of my (non-commercial) site.

#14     Oct 8, 2001
  5. SHORTY

SHORTY

dufferdon,

I appreciate the invitation, but to be quite honest, I'm humbled by the expertise and knowledge of many of the participants on this board and would defer to them. While I am predisposed, for some empirical and some subjective reasons, to favor short positions, I don't feel that I currently have the trading background to hold these opinions up to scrutiny. As my strategies prove out and stand the test of time, I may reconsider.

Good Luck and Big Profits

#15     Oct 8, 2001
  6. Shorty,

It's refreshing to find some humility.

#16     Oct 9, 2001