Swing Trading is the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Journals' started by frostengine, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I take it this is not your day job? Because if you trade for a living, you cannot survive by simply beating the s&p 500. Those guys that you mention that under perform the s&p 500 have one thing you don't have, a management fee.

If this is not your day job then fine, I guess whatever return satisfies you is all that matters. But the title of your thread is a little misleading. This is far from a holy grail.

#41     Apr 11, 2012
  2. I think there may be some confusion about my goal. Yes, I consider it a win at THIS stage if I am simply beating the S&P. At this stage, I am only taking long trades and entering the market at what likely may be the top for the year.

Beating the overall market is a win. As I continue this journal, simply beating the S&P is not the goal. I believe the title of this thread when I say "Swing Trading is the Holy Grail". I believe the method I am trading, and the overall strategy is the key to successful trading.

Leaving the micro time frames and moving to approx 5 day holding periods is more lucrative. Especially when every trade signal I take I KNOW is tilted in my direction based on the data mining I have conducted.

Moving forward, I will continue to add new sub strategies to the overall strategy while I adapt to trading this method live. Starting today, I am now also generating short trades. The overall shorting strategy is not complete. It will evolve over time as I continue to add more patterns, but its sufficient as a starting point to go with the long strategies.

#42     Apr 12, 2012
  3. Tomorrow I am watching the following:

Longs - AET,KO,NTAP
    Shorts- txn,wag,mdp

More info: <a href="http://www.mystockanalysis.com">Watch List</a>

#43     Apr 15, 2012
  4. I think you have a good strategy, based on your latest long watch list. I've tested this same strategy and it works best in a bullish general market.

I would strongly suggest switching the signal around to the short side if the market turns! I like using a 10 EMA on the SPY for my market direction indicator.

:)

#44     Apr 16, 2012
  5. Stocks for tomorrow:

Long: ntap,fii,fast
    Short: cam,esv,jdsu,mdt,nbl,ne,r,mu,nbr,swn

#45     Apr 16, 2012
  6. Lots of trades so far today:

Purchased 53 shares of FAST @$48.63 stop @$47.70
    purchased 78 shares of NTAP @$40.33 stop $39.69
    Shorted 86 shares of MDT at $37.92 stop $38.51
    Shorted 142 shares of MU at 7.19 stop 7.75

#46     Apr 17, 2012
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Any updates?

#47     Apr 28, 2012
  8. lwlee

lwlee

More than a month since last update.

No update on blog for 2 weeks.

I guess Swing Trading is NOT the Holy Grail.

#48     May 19, 2012
  9. Makes no sense. He even saw the top coming, yet only going long? Epic losses.

#49     May 19, 2012
  10. Either that or he's sitting out the falling market.

#50     May 19, 2012