Swing Trading is the Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Journals' started by frostengine, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I picked a good time to start trading this strategy with the market entering a correction potentially. However, as long as I continue to stick to the strategy, it will out-perform over the long run

#31     Apr 9, 2012
  2. Purchased 27 shares of GWW at 213.30 stop is at 208.95

#32     Apr 9, 2012
  3. Tomorrow I will be watching the following stocks: dfs, avb eix, aph, dhr, mco, spg

#33     Apr 9, 2012
  4. This market is not being kind to my strategy right now. I do not think this has anything to do with the strategy other than picking a bad time to start trading it. Any long position would be suffering right now

#34     Apr 10, 2012
  5. Just purchased 88 shares of DFS at $32.36, stop $30.94

#35     Apr 10, 2012
  6. Just curious what pattern leads you to buy the stocks in down trend?

#36     Apr 10, 2012
  7. That trade was placed due to my <a href="http://www.mystockanalysis.com/stocks-to-buy/trend-strategy/">Trend Following Strategy</a>. It uses 33 patterns discovered through data mining.

I recognize right now is NOT the best time to be going long with the current market down trend. However, utilizing tight stops, I can continue to trade the strategy instead of trying to "guess" when the market will bottom.

Since starting this strategy, the S&P is down 3.5%. While my strategy is down 1.6%. As long as I continue to out perform the S&P, I will consider the strategy a success.

#37     Apr 10, 2012
  8. So if the S&P returns -30%, you will be successful returning -29.8%?

-_-'

Your definition of success is a frosty engine.

#38     Apr 11, 2012
  9. Considering how many funds exists that do not even out perform their target benchmark such as the S&P, I place a high value on simply outperforming.

To judge the success of this method requires looking at a lot of variables:
    #1 Does it outperform simply buy and hold the benchmark index
    #2 Evaluate the relationship of returns versus draw down compared to the benchmark returns/draw down
    #3 Amount of capital required to trade compared to buy and hold.

My strategy is not meant to be a get rich quick scheme or return 100's of % a year. It is meant to be a solid strategy that is capable of outperforming the S&P over the long run and in return outperforming many of the funds out there.

#39     Apr 11, 2012
  10. Purchased 44 shares of APOL

#40     Apr 11, 2012