Swing Trading Global Markets - WILD Approach

Discussion in 'Journals' started by gmst, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmst

gmst

Add 3 more short at 1751, already have 3 short from 1742

#31     Oct 22, 2013
  2. gmst

gmst

covered these 3 shorts at 1736 for 15*3 = 45 points = 2250 USD

Still have 3 original shorts from 1742

#32     Oct 23, 2013
  3. gmst

gmst

out of other 3 from 1742 at 1740 for 6 points = 300 USD

So, total profits = 2250 + 300 = 2550 USD

Account Equity = 43,600 + 2,550 = 46,150 USD

#33     Oct 23, 2013
  4. gmst

gmst

I know the markets will touch 1800 before end of year and I want to be long. And biggest thing is this is just a paper trading journal :D

Still, I feel hesitant to buy these highs - human psychology

#34     Oct 24, 2013
  5. gmst

gmst

NEW TRADE:

Short 3 ES at 1756

#35     Nov 8, 2013
  6. How about throwing in $6 RT commissions and 1 pt slippage each way?

It's been bandied about various places, especially in pabst's article in the Greatest Hits section, that traders are typically profitable before commissions. After commissions, they're net losers...

Might as well make it realistic (from a retail standpoint). To do otherwise is delusional...

#36     Nov 8, 2013
  7. gmst

gmst

Thanks for checking out the thread :)

What you say is generally true and important for intra-day trading. Effect of commissions is very small for swing trades. However, to make it absolutely accurate, I agree a 4$ round-trip commission should be added. Slippage is not necessary since all these fills have been on limit orders.

And purpose of this thread is to just practice swing trading. I have been day trading for sometime now, and would like to develop the psychological wherewithal to keep trades open for days. Its actually quite a challenge for a day trader :)

#37     Nov 8, 2013
  8. yep..commissions will be a non-factor when swingtrading...just count the number of trades and multiply by your commission/exchange fees and deduct from gross profit or loss

#38     Nov 8, 2013
  9. Are you limiting yourself to looking at just the hourly/daily charts, or driving yourself manic watching the DOM or the 5/15/30 min charts?

Are you only trading ES or would you consider markets that trend better w/o the intraday manic-depression?

How are you determining the swings you're hoping to ride?

#39     Nov 8, 2013
  10. gmst

gmst

5min and DOM is always open on my system for my intra-day trading. I am always looking at it during RTH. However, for this thread, I am only looking at hourly and daily.

I wanted to experiment with other markets as well in this thread and that was the main purpose of this thread to diversify my trading across markets. Unfortunately, I haven't really found the time to research other markets yet. I plan to start doing some trades from other markets as well in this journal. Thanks for asking.
    There is no backtested method for this journal, I am just looking at average moves ES makes over 2-3-5 days and depending on this knowledge, coupled with when I see markets making a change in direction intra-day, I just close the trades.

#40     Nov 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.