Swing Trading Futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Trend Fader, May 24, 2004.

1. I have a simple question. If u were to swing trade futures like the ER2 or NQ... how do u handle the rollover date when the contract expires?

I believe the NQ expires in late June.. assuming I want to swing it from now until after the summer how I handle the rollover?

--MIKE

2. When you say "swing trade", do you really mean multiday position trade (note that swing trading is a method/style of trading that is independent of the trading timeframe - lots of people swing trade intraday)?

If you're holding a position and want to keep holding it as the front month contract prepares to change - you just need to roll your position forward (i.e., if you're long, you sell the current contracts and simultaneously buy what will be the new front month).

However, before you risk even a dollar trading futures, you should be thoroughly clear on all aspects of the instruments you plan to trade - for instance, you should have more than a vague idea of when contracts expire and you should know that trading in the contracts roll forward long before the current contracts expire.

Good luck.

3. If don't know how to roll over into a new contract, then I dare say you don't know enough to trade the market.

Runningbear

4. Sell the old, buy the new...know when rollover occurs. There will be plenty of liquidity.

5. "If don't know how to roll over into a new contract, then I dare say you don't know enough to trade the market."

Runningbear

True.

6. josbarr

josbarr

June 10

2nd Thursday of the month.

QUOTE]Quote from Trend Fader:

I have a simple question. If u were to swing trade futures like the ER2 or NQ... how do u handle the rollover date when the contract expires?

I believe the NQ expires in late June.. assuming I want to swing it from now until after the summer how I handle the rollover?

--MIKE
    [/QUOTE]