Swing Trading Futures overnight

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by antares66, Nov 24, 2021.

1. RedSun

RedSun

It is just absurd to keep arguing what "swing" and "trading" is truly is. The definitions can certainly vary. Just use common sense.

This is so typical of ET style. I guess some people just want to add to post counts.

#41     Nov 25, 2021
  2. RedSun

RedSun

For stock index futures, there are many ways traders can trade.

Scalping: HFT is part of it. You use some automated system to scalp the market. Best if during the high volume time. Do not hold overnight position

Pure day trading: Take a position in the morning, extended market and at open too. Then exit the position at profit target, stop loss threshold or before market close. No overnight position.

Swing trading: Take any position and hold the position for overnight and longer. Again exit the position at certain profit target or stop loss threshold.

Investing with index futures: If I want to take a long-term (months or years) position, I can take a position with ES or NQ and keep rolling the position prior to expiration. This is no difference of buying SPY SPXL, or QQQ or TQQQ.

Commodity futures generally have a much shorter horizon since they are much more volatile and some expire each month. So very few traders "invest" with commodity futures like folks do with stock index futures.

#42     Nov 25, 2021
  3. Not at all. I've seen people talk about swing trading for years and always wondered what it was. So I was hoping I'd find out here. Sadly I am none the wiser.

But I agree this is a pointless exercise so I'm stopping....

GAT

#43     Nov 25, 2021
  4. RedSun

RedSun

The question is what people you are "listening" to.

"Swing" is a general term of bigger market ups and downs. This is typically some mini cycle.

In general trading/investing styles are separated by day trading, swing trading and (long term) investing, by the trading/investing holding period. If someone buys and holds for two years, that is clearly an investing, not trading. And how can some people "trade" index futures for years? They will have roll the contracts.

#44     Nov 25, 2021
  5. Overnight

Overnight

That would be what they call "position trading".

#45     Nov 25, 2021
  6. RedSun

RedSun

Sure you always want to argue. Just move on. Do not reply my posts....

Bye.

#46     Nov 25, 2021
  7. Overnight

Overnight

My statement is not an argument.

Well, you have to admit, you probably have never heard of "position" trading before. I realize the terminology is just semantics and fluff. But it is something to talk about.

#47     Nov 25, 2021
  8. RedSun

RedSun

You always argue. Just stupid. Do not reply any more.

#48     Nov 25, 2021
  9. Overnight

Overnight

I'm not arguing at this point. I am stating fact, and am stating facts.

Here's the current print of ES/MES. Look at the range. Has a 30-point drop never occurred during the day session?

redsunesprint.JPG

It is the same damned risk in both ON and RTH sessions!

#49     Nov 25, 2021
  10. RedSun

RedSun

You such idiot. Can you ever stop?

#50     Nov 25, 2021