Swing Trading Futures overnight

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by antares66, Nov 24, 2021.

1. I trade ~120 futures markets. But I never look at them (automated)

GAT

#21     Nov 25, 2021
  2. I´m really impressed. I have a strategy but my coding skills are limited. Which platform/language do you prefer, c#, java, c++? I´m using motivewave but coding in java is hard.

#22     Nov 25, 2021
  3. Python

GAT

#23     Nov 25, 2021
  4. RedSun

RedSun

Whatever you want to argue, do not argue with me any more. What a big mouth. Good bye.

#24     Nov 25, 2021
  5. In all seriousness, can someone give me a definition of swing trading? What is about it that's 'swingy'?

#25     Nov 25, 2021
  6. easymon1

easymon1

#26     Nov 25, 2021
  7. So it's any trading with holding periods longer than day trading up to a couple of months. That's pretty broad! I would say it's a broad enough term to be completely meaningless - it tells us nothing about the style of trading (value, momentum, carry, RV, ...).

Also, why 'swing'?

GAT

#27     Nov 25, 2021
  8. easymon1

easymon1

What Is Swing Trading? - Fidelity
    [​IMG]https://www.fidelity.com › learning-center › trading-investing › trading › swing-trading-setups
    Swing trading refers to the practice of trying to profit from market swings of a minimum of 1 day and as long as several weeks. If losses can be kept to acceptable levels using stop loss techniques, swing trading can be profitable and provide a good perspective to learn about both the short-term and long-term market movements.

... And Swang Trading just doesn't sound right.

#28     Nov 25, 2021
  9. OK, so WTF is a 'market swing'?

GAT

#29     Nov 25, 2021
  10. RedSun

RedSun

Swing trading is any trading activities with holding period longer than same day to days or weeks. In general, holding period longer than one month is considered "investing", not "trading". It is a very broad definition.

Most of the futures traders or market makers do not hold positions overnight due to the heightened underlying risks overnight or over weekend or holiday.

Here look at some of the large price changes of CL prices over weekends:

CL.JPG

Over the weekend of 3/6/2020, CL price dropped by about $10. On 4/27, it dropped $4, or 25%. On Monday 4/20/2020, price turned negative. Hope we all remember those days.

Whoever kept long CL positions over those weekends got slaughtered.

Do not argue with me that swing trading does not have much risk. That is just outright stupid.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    #30     Nov 25, 2021