Swing Trading Futures overnight

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by antares66, Nov 24, 2021.

1. RedSun

RedSun

Wonder why you keep arguing about everything??

#11     Nov 24, 2021
  2. That´s interesting. In my opinion on monday it would have been great to trade the reversal short and holding the short position until today. You are only trading futures, no stocks, etfs?
    In hindsight it would have been a great idea to have bought spy, or qqq in 2010 and holding the positon till today.

#12     Nov 24, 2021
  3. maxinger

maxinger

You have to decide whether swing or day trading suits you.
    I gave up swing trading & investing years ago because I can't make $$$ from those. I don't feel comfortable holding futures/stocks for more than a day.

I only day trade futures.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    #13     Nov 24, 2021
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I am arguing that overnight holds have no more risk than daytime holds. I am arguing that both sessions have equal amounts of risk.

#14     Nov 24, 2021
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Swing trading to me is in my journal. The world of the REAL.

#15     Nov 24, 2021
  6. I know that feeling especially if you are holding stocks others than FAANG +MSFT+NVDA.

#16     Nov 25, 2021
  7. tomas262

tomas262

I shifted my DT so I start at 9 instead of 8.30 to avoid opening mayham. Of course bit slower but gives me better results long term for some reason :) As for swinging.. I remember seeing some stats recently that market tends to make more %% during premarket / overnight hours compared to regular ...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    #17     Nov 25, 2021
    Bugsy likes this.
  8. I've no idea what 'swing' trading actually is, but my average holding period is several weeks

GAT

#18     Nov 25, 2021
  9. What are you trading? I guess you uses stops and profit taker trails, or do you buy NQ and take a look after some weeks what has happened:D

#19     Nov 25, 2021
  10. Fonz

Fonz

I swing trade (position from one to few days) the ES, few times per year. I also swing trade commodities from time to time on specific patterns + specific COT situation.

I use low leverage depending of my hard stops, which are larges most of the time: The 20th of September I took a 60 ES points loss (240 ticks).. And that was a "close stop" this time.
    I was able to use more leverage on Oats recently, which was one of my best swing trade of the year.

When swing trading, I always go with the trend and I enter on stops or limits, depending of the pattern that I see.

I see swing trading as a conservative way of trading the markets, if we have large pockets to avoid over leverage. Nothing new here: Position sizing is the key and I just do the maths. Whatever my stop position, I always risk the same, as a % of my allocated capital.

#20     Nov 25, 2021
    comagnum likes this.