Swing Trading For a Consistent Return

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Illini Trader, Jun 3, 2021.

1. A little self depreciating humor -- I have an idea but I don't know if it will be successful over time and since there is zero commissions on stocks I can trade very small. If it is a dependable trading plan it is easily scalable up considering the stocks I am trading.

#21     Jun 4, 2021
  2. deaddog

deaddog

I watch a whole market not just 64 stocks and I have trouble finding more than a few set-ups at a time. You might consider tightening up your entry requirements.

#22     Jun 4, 2021
    comagnum, KCalhoun and Tradex like this.
  3. easymon1

easymon1

#23     Jun 4, 2021
  4. Thanks for referring me to this thread. I spent some time reading it beyond the specific reference that you were pointing out. And, yep what I am trying to do is in there. I am trying to develop a trading plan based on Fibonacci Retracements. For that reason (in reply to deaddog, I love Beagles too) my 64 stocks may be too many not too few, since you have to really study the charts to get a feel for where the current price is.

#24     Jun 4, 2021
  5. deaddog

deaddog

With 64 stocks what kind of moves are you targeting in your swing trading?

I typically target a 15 to 20% move in 1 to 4 weeks.

#25     Jun 4, 2021
  6. I don't even think in terms of percentage moves --- just trying to think of support and resistance as defined by the Fib levels.

#26     Jun 5, 2021
  7. themickey

themickey

Don't take this personally, but imo a dumb idea.
    What you propose is a pure TA method, it's been thought of before and is simplistic and will fail.
    Price does not obey TA rules.
    You need to come with something more original.

Edit: If it does work, it wont be because of your fib rules.
    It may work because you are buying pullbacks, and likely because your 64 stocks are quality type stocks which have a higher than 50% chance of rising.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    #27     Jun 5, 2021
    Illini Trader likes this.
  8. deaddog

deaddog

How about risk vs reward? Do you have a target ratio?

#28     Jun 5, 2021
  9. Your points are well made and you are probably correct. But if it does work (as you explain) because I am buying quality stocks on a pullback in a rising market then that is good I guess. What I am testing as well is ---- Will the fibs get me predominately short and protect against a large drop in the index in a major decline. My daily accumulated performance to date comparison against the SPX and NDX will be the test.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    #29     Jun 5, 2021
  10. No I don't. My spreadsheet will determine the historical results as I have a W/L percentage and a Ave Profit to Ave Loss ratio. Right now I have mainly closed out my losers so it will take time for the results to fill out. Ideally the W/L is above 50% and the Profit Ratio is above 1.00. Time will tell.

#30     Jun 5, 2021
    deaddog likes this.