Swine Flu VS Regular Flu

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. So there are 36000 deaths a year in the US from the flu every year. There are 300 million Americans. There are 6.77 billion people in the world. If we carry these numbers forward we can say that 812,400 people die worldwide each year. I bet its higher. Based on that, there are on average 2225 flu deaths everyday. We bounce those numbers against the swine flu numbers. I first heard about swine flu last friday. It certainly was around before then, but we use last friday as a baseline. That was six days ago. So the normal flu has killed 13354 people and swine flu has killed 8. This will be a thread to keep score.

Current Score

Normal Flu 13354
    Swine Flu 8

2. Isn't common sense wonderful.

And that is if all countries are weighted the same for technological innovation. I would venture a guess that the US is 2x more advanced, at least, to other countries which would make the figures even higher.

3. H1N1 swine flu is far different than H1N1 human flu.

This flu, if epidemiological reports are accurate, is unique in that it is comprised of a mix of 2 different swine flu strains, 1 avian (bird) flu strain, and 1 human flu strain.

This is relatively rare in the world of influenza, and extremely similar to the 1918 Spanish Influenza, which is apparently why WHO, CDC and other scientists are even more concerned (reportedly) than they're even letting on publicly.

This is also apparently why young human victims have such a tremendous immune response to the virus, as their body is overwhelmed and in reaction produces buku antibody killer cells at a rapid clip, which essentially causes their lungs to become overwhelmed and inundated with split and bursted virii , essentially suffocating them.

Seasonal influenza claims more victims than this has so far, but it mainly targets the very young, very old and immune-compromised, and this H1N1 'Swine' Flu has apparently just begun...

4. Exactly, thats why its a conservative estimate.

5. Exactly, thats why I am keeping score.

6. tp://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/flu-research.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Look at this. Research of the 1918 flu. People know more now then before.

7. Americans exposed to "regular" flu: hundreds of millions

Americans exposed to swine flu: ?? 1000? 2000? 10000?

World wide population exposed to regular flu: Billions

World wide population exposed to swine flu: So far, it's anybody's guess.

Estimated mortality rate of the 1918 Spanish flu: 2.5% (the low end of the estimate)

Deaths caused by the swine flu if the mortality rate is 1/10 of the Spanish flu: almost 17 million.

Deaths caused by the swine flu if the mortality rate is equal to the low estimate of the Spanish flu: almost 170 million

Deaths caused by the swine flu if the mortality rate is equal to the high estimate of the Spanish flu: 340 million people.

8. I'm sure a vacation package to your favorite Mexican resort is dirt cheap right now. Health officials are full of nonsense. Level 5? Blah, blah, blah. Go get yourself infected and spread it around your local school district. There's nothing to worry about.

9. Death rate of everyone who has ever lived or will ever live on Earth, 100%.

#10     Apr 30, 2009