Swine Flu: European Governments care more about their citizens?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lolatency, Apr 27, 2009.

1. That same technology has yet to cure a virus.

#11     Apr 27, 2009
  2. JOSEF

JOSEF

lolatency said:
    <b><i>I'm a little annoyed Napolitano didn't close the border and quarantine certain passengers from air-travel. At least the Europeans issued legitimate travel advisories, and Russia stopped importing meat.

Why does our government do this? It's totally counter-intuitive to make the political correctness trade-off for the lives and health of millions of Americans across all different ethnic groups. I am so incredibly pissed off at how our government handled this situation.

This really isn't the first time either. Go down to SoCal and find out how tuberculosis is on the rise. What the hell is wrong with this government? I've never seen such immense stupidity in the face of a crisis -- arguably, this is far worse than Katrina.</b></i>

I guess the government is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Some Republicans think our government has done <b>too much</b>

Here's what one conservative group claimed:

<i>I was just talking to Wendy Wright, the president of the conservative group Concerned Women for America, about the nomination of Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D-Kans.) to run the Department of Health and Human Services. The group opposes the nomination, and Wright is raising some questions about the timing of the swine flu crackdown so close to tomorrow’s cloture vote.

“Some people think that declaring a state of emergency about the flu was a political thing to push the Sebelius nomination through,” said Wright. </i>
    http://washingtonindependent.com/40593/concerned-women-asking-about-swine-flu-panic

Since people are criticizing our government for both doing too little AND too much, it seems like our government have done just fine.

#12     Apr 27, 2009
  3. It is the mortality rate that should be of concern. So far in Mexico, it is running near 7.5%. That is what should be alarming. The 34K normal is a rounding error. Take a normal year of 35 million sick Americans and give it a 7.5% mortality rate and you get 2.6 million dead, just in the usa.

"Prevalance of Flu:Every year, 10 percent to 20 percent of Americans get sick with the flu (influenza). (Source: excerpt from Focus On The Flu: NIAID) ... In the United States, approximately 25 percent of the population has flu-associated illness annually, leading to an average of 20,000 to 40,000 deaths per year. (Source: excerpt from Microbes in Sickness and in Health - Publications, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases: NIAID) ... The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 35 to 50 million Americans come down with the flu during each flu season, which typically lasts from November to March. (Source: excerpt from The Flu, NIAID Fact Sheet: NIAID) "

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/f/flu/prevalence.htm

#13     Apr 27, 2009
  4. Close the border? LOL
    You are just being reactionary and being played by the media. They will hype this up like they did with SARS.

As to russia.....Complete idiotic ineffective BS over reaction You don't get this flu from MEAT you meathead you get it from other humans. Not eating pork is meaningless, you don't get it from eating pork. Russia is just screwing with the U.S. via U.S. travelers by quarantining them. They are playing politics towards the U.S.

#14     Apr 27, 2009
  5. Where did you get the 7.5% FIGURE?
    From the CDC or World Health Organization or did you make up that number yourself?

#15     Apr 27, 2009
  6. any med's are strictly for the Government and then Military and then it works its way down to the hospital staff and then

You should check out the Black Plague and how many cases have been recently reported in New Mexico and close related states.

Scientists to date don't know why it went into remission as it is not dead just waiting. That's the one I am concerned about.

#16     Apr 27, 2009
  7. Well they sent a 747 to spray NY with antiviral spray to see how effective it is. If it works out they will spray the whole US.

We have enough tools in our arsenal to protect against a pandemic.

#17     Apr 27, 2009
  8. What good will closing the border do now? The virus is ALREADY in the U.S. What's the old saying about barn doors and horses?

And do you have any idea what closing a border with a trading partner would involve? Logically you would need to close shipping and air travel and then refuse entry to any country that didn't quarantine Mexico along with us.

I understand the caution of health officials but this is probably overblown and if it's not, well, it's too damn late anyway. This new virus has already spread around the world. Stock up on chicken noodle soup, 7-up and blankets.

#18     Apr 27, 2009
  9. Google the news yourself. 149 dead in mexico out of 1,995 reported cases. 149/1,995 = 7.5%.

#19     Apr 27, 2009
  10. I am not worried about the plague in the least bit, simple antibiotics cure it as it is bacterial. The flu however is viral and there is no cure.

#20     Apr 27, 2009