Swine Flu: At Least 1 Million in Just U.S. Infected; Higher % Being Hospitalized.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Thank Heavens you and the family are ok.
    My Brother in Law died of Swine Flu on June 9th.
    Healthy guy, no smoke no drugs no drink.
    It's still surreal.
    Doc said Taimiflu only works if you start taking it within 48 hrs of showing a symptom, which is usually sniffles and a fever, and the fever is usually 100 or above.
    Doc also said if you DO have it, it'l show up as a high fever within 24 hours of contact with the virus, altho the incubation period for kids under 12 can be 7 days, but can be 10 days for an adult.
    Scary stuff.

#11     Jun 26, 2009
  2. Ian, sorry to hear that. Wow.

#12     Jun 26, 2009
  3. It just felt like a scratchy throat and fever to begin with for most of us.

The rate at which it spread was alarming. They closed down the private school one in the family attends because of a 'cluster,' but this was after we all became sick.

Honestly, it felt like allergies/hay fever at first, but then the muscle aches and fever hit.

It's not the sickest I've been by any stretch (although it was more than a nuisance), but with the heat wave we had recently, staying inside with the AC turned way down was the best relief.

#13     Jun 26, 2009
  4. Terribly odd that someone would give her an antibiotic for a virus.

#14     Jun 26, 2009
  5. Ian my condolences. Was he Texas boy too? Where was he exposed?

#15     Jun 26, 2009
  6. Mvic

Mvic

Ian, very sorry for your loss.

Glad you are feeling better ByLo.

We also had it but were expecting to get it and had a supply of tamiflu on hand. My wife and I took the tamiflu the day symptoms showed:fever, wet raspy cough, nausea, and while we felt like crap for several days and those symptoms persisted, especially the nausea and cough and a feeling of fluid build up in the lungs making it hard to breathe, we were not nearly as sick as with the normal flu and both were able to keep working through out (though my wife did get IV fluids at one point). We also took a high dose of cough suppressant and guifennisen (Mucinex DM over the counter med) and my wife took a medrol dose pack as well (steroids) that helped a lot.

Interestingly our child caught a very mild version from us and that could be because the tamiflu also reduces the level of contagion of secretions. She did not take any medicine beyond child Tylenol for 2 days and only had a very mild fever and light wet raspy cough for a few days.

#16     Jun 26, 2009
  7. 1 Million infected is only 0.3%. What's to be made of such a low infection rate in a pandemic?

#17     Jun 26, 2009
  8. Dr. Z, yes it is a virus. My wife will be mad as hell when I tell her. Thanks for that and regards.

#18     Jun 26, 2009
  9. in less than 3 months.

#19     Jun 26, 2009
  10. I got wacked for 6 days also. Had a fever, sore throat, and muscle aches. Could not control vomiting. It passed after about 4 days, and now all I have left is a mild cold.

I live in NYC, probably caught it on the subway.

#20     Jun 26, 2009