Sweet tooth or fat tooth?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toonces, Jan 22, 2004.

Does food preference affect dietary beliefs?

1. I have a fat tooth and believe in low carb

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. I have a fat tooth and believe in low fat

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. I have a sweet tooth and believe in low carb

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. I have a sweet tooth and believe in low fat

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. Toonces

Toonces

I have a theory that those who prefer meat over sweets would be more inclined to be persuaded by a low carb diet like Atkins, while those who prefer sweets would be persuaded more by a low fat diet like Ornish. For example, I could live without meat for the rest of my life, but candy is a lot more tempting. And I'm much more convinced of the healthiness of a low fat diet over low carb. What do you think?

2. franklin

franklin

- low carb doesn't mean low sweet - there are several safe sugar substitutes that allow you to keep eating "sweets"

- low carb doesn't mean high fat; it more often means higher protein (just depends on which lower-carb diet you're on)

The "high fat" criticism of lower-carb diets is a straw man.
    The huge success of lower-carb, higher-protein diets, and the documented improvement in blood chemistry, speaks for itself.

3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Those who divide it all up into low fat/high carb and low carb/high fat are reading diet books instead of doing their own homework, as they will soon find out when they try to lose weight by eating angel food cake (fat free) or sugar-free cheesecake.

4. franklin

franklin

Exactly. Good example is Subway's new "Atkin's Friendly" wrap, where they replace bun with a lower-carb, higher-protein, higher-fiber wrap. You then add meat and vegetables and cheese in whatever amounts and types suit you. For most "normal" amounts you might add, you end up with a pretty good distribution of fat, protein, and carbs. The result is "lower-carb", but is also "higher-protein", and not "high-fat".

Less carbs, more fiber, more protein, and watch the fat.

(I guess a bad example would be Hardee's low-carb burger where they just replaced the bun with paper, giving you a huge dose of beef w/ few vegetables. I suppose now, in addition to the low-fat evangelists, someone from Hardee's will show up on this thread to defend their burgers. :) )

5. stop the insanity :-/

6. Right on!!!

7. Wrong. The (small and very short-term) study or two that showed improvement in blood lipid profile is thought by the experts to be due to the initial weight loss and not the particular diet. These profiles have been shown to initially improve in cases of weight loss from virtually any diet, not specific to atkins.

Long term efficacy and safety of high fat diets is in question and mounds of evidence point the other way namely low fat/high (complex)carb diets are the best.

Nice try but get the facts straight. lol :D

8. "The widow of diet guru Dr. Robert Atkins went
    on national television Friday to demand an
    apology from Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who
    called Atkins "fat" when he apparently thought
    he wasn't being recorded."

"While eating pasta at a photo op at a Brooklyn
    firehouse earlier this week, the mayor used a
    common expletive to express doubts about the
    details of Atkins' death and said, "I mean, the guy was fat."

LMFAO!! Oh crap this is soo funny
    :p :p :p

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local...24,0,7502551.story?coll=nyc-topheadlines-left

9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

LongShot has already highjacked two threads on this, so there's no point in continuing. Anyone who's interested in the fat/carb business can PM me.

10. oh yeah PM db and get the straight truth. LOL

what are you afraid of db, your facts won't hold up under scrutiny? :D

I'm just posting facts here db, you do like facts don't you?

#10     Jan 23, 2004