Suspend "Cash for Clunkers"?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Madison, Jul 30, 2009.

1. To blame this on one particular party is asinine. The illuminati have been working hard for the past decade to try to stave off the conclusion of the business cycle. The mispricing of capital has created numerous bubbles and a thus a precipitous decline in expected tax revenues. This cash for clunkers bs is yet another unfunded gov't promise, a bait and switch tactic. If you think something is expensive now, wait until it's free. Obama's undeniable connections to numerous radical organizations should worry even the most liberal at heart.

#31     Jul 31, 2009
  2. Unfortunately, this is a problem of public choice - the incentives for politicians. The populations of France, Germany, Italy, etc. are healthy but they still have very very crooked politicians.

Power corrupts.

#32     Jul 31, 2009
  3. Cash for Clunkers, Social Security..............and some of you want the government to run your healthcare? Holy Shit.

[​IMG]

#33     Jul 31, 2009
  4. You're right. I've seen the light. It was letting people keep more of their earnings that brought down the U.S. financial system - not subprime lending and corrupt politicians of all stripes.

#34     Jul 31, 2009
  5. What the hell are you talking about? Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

#35     Jul 31, 2009
  6. The purpose of my post was that cash for clunkers was working to stimulate the economy by finally giving normal consumers some direct money that is not a handout. But instead of expanding it, they cancel it. I have a feeling it was working TOO well, and would make the other efforts seem bogus. So, they had no choice but to cancel it so the trillions dumped into the banks that has done nothing but result in bonuses would not be made to look like a bad idea.

#36     Jul 31, 2009
  7. Or maybe Republicans will realize one of these days that it doesn’t matter if you reduce somebody’s taxes 10%, because inflation will eat it up in a year anyways. And of course if they don’t have a job anyways, well, what goods a tax cut to them? Clinton raised taxes and the economy was strong, Bush raised taxes and the economy went in the toilet. So maybe the economy is a bit more complex than tax cuts.

#37     Jul 31, 2009
  8. Wrong again my friend.
    What's pathetic is that many people here on ET don't have a basic fundamental understanding of how legislation creates these types of programs.

The government cannot fund this program immediately as you claim.
    Perhaps you could use a civics class in how the federal government works, or where H.R. 2751 evolved from in the first place.

"Cash for Clunkers" was legislation that came out of the House of Representatives. It was entitled the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act" - H.R. 2751 and passed 298 to 119 in the House.

If the House wants to add another $2 billion to the program ( as reported earlier this morning ) they will have to vote on such an amendment. It just doesn't come falling from out of the sky, and happen immediately as you claim.

Then, it will have to be voted on by the Senate some time next week.

#38     Jul 31, 2009
  9. Subprime lending under Bush’s watch. He could have stood up to Greenscam and Bernankrupt, but he didn’t. Republicans can shout tax cuts all they want, that ain’t gonna change much of anything. Nobody cares about a tax cut when ther job just got shipped to China or when the ceo is making 400 times what they are.

#39     Jul 31, 2009
  10. Given who represented the GOP during the last Presidential election, I would hardly say that 2012 is the "lock" that you claim. The GOP got their asses kicked in the midterm elections of 2006 and they've had a horrible time recovering ever since.

In case you're memory has deserted you, it was the first election in U.S. history in which the losses for one side were so freakin' lopsided that the victorious party did not lose a single incumbent or open seat in Congress, or a governor's mansion.

2010 is just around the corner.
    I still don't see a "leader" of the GOP, do you?

#40     Jul 31, 2009