Survey shows people no longer believe working hard will lead to a better life

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Ninja Mobile Trader VPS, Jun 15, 2021.

1. The 2020 Edelman Trust Barometer – now in its 20th year – has found many people no longer believe working hard will give them a better life.

Despite strong economic performance, a majority of respondents in every developed market do not believe they will be better off in five years’ time.

This means that economic growth no longer appears to drive trust, at least in developed markets – upending the conventional wisdom.

upload_2021-6-15_11-25-52.png

Read the full report here: https://www.edelman.com/sites/g/fil...delman Trust Barometer Global Report_LIVE.pdf

Math_Wiz, VPhantom, bookish and 2 others like this.
  2. Inflation is theft...between taxes and inflation who are we really working for?

3. I believe it's a combination of the definition of hard work deteriorating (which leads people to think they work hard when they actually don't which does not necessary lead to desired results) and also that broad based opportunities are vanishing in exchange for lottery like probabilities and payouts. Society is trying to convince everyone that only top awards are worth chasing after, what it fails to explain is that there can only be very few winners. Resulting disappointment and disillusionment should not come as a surprise.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    mokwit, Gambit, Nobert and 4 others like this.
  4. rb7

rb7

It would be interesting to see and compare the same numbers but for previous years.

5. kmiklas

kmiklas

Interesting viewpoint. I hear these stories about how my WWII-era grandparents had to work 80-hour weeks in a slaughterhouse.

6. Do you really want to be wealthy when you are old?

7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

IMO nothing defines sheeple better than those who put their trust in surveys or pffft focus groups.

timtrader and RGLD like this.
  8. Slaughterhouse work is certainly a lot more physically demanding than office work but 80 hours are quite normal today in the financial industry for any front office professional. I can't remember having ever worked less than 80 hours (including Saturday work and occasionally even a few hours on Sundays) unless I went on vacation. How people can feel pride and not get bored with 30 hour work weeks is a mystery to me.

9. Says the one who puts his faith and money in eliott waves. Lol.

10. Of course... and you're likely to be wealthy-er along the way for the effort.

Besides, you're sure to end up in nowhere'sville if you don't bother trying.

I've got 2 personal stories about guys who started out in "regular" jobs (one worked at Home Depot, the other managed a Village Inn restaurant in a small town)... wasn't doing it for them so they quit and became plumbers. (Plumber? EGADS MAN... GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY?) More like doing things others were reluctant or wouldn't do. Long stories short... one of them now owns a local plumbing supply distributorship and the other has specialized in installing/replacing water heaters for 20 years.. that's all he does. He's done so many, he owns 28 rental properties, a 7-figure stock portfolio and he's in his 40s. And... he still does a few water heaters every week because he likes the work and it keeps him from getting too fat.... apparently loves beer and burritos. Who doesn't?

Hot water is a necessity, so they both are always going to have work. (If my grandpa were still alive, he'd love those plumber stories.. )

If you want to "make it", you either have to have some special talent or be willing to do what others won't.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    #10     Jun 15, 2021
    albion, timtrader, roca and 2 others like this.