Surge Protectors In Another Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by dividend, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Is it 'safe' to use a surge protector that is plugged into another surge protector? Anotherwords is there a risk of overloading them?

And also, if not, then does it offer more protection if I plug my more valuable accessories into the second surge protector (so there'll be two safety nets?

Thanks for the info.

2. domen74

domen74

I was wondering about that too so I searched the net and here's what i found.

The District Computer Center recommends each computer be plugged into a surge protector or an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) to help protect against fluctuations in the power grid. You may plug more than one computer into a surge protector but each surge protector should plug directly into a wall outlet. You should not plug a surge protector into another surge protector, power bar, uninterruptable power supply (UPS), or extension cord. (This is against fire code and will invalidate many surge protector warranties.) To prevent circuit overloads, you should not plug more than 3-4 computers (or other appliances) into a single electrical circuit. There are usually several electrical outlets on each circuit.

More specific stuff can be found here..
    http://engineer.tamu.edu/safety/new/templates/flex_elec.htm

These electrician dudes are pretty strict.

3. nitro

nitro

Generally no, but some UPS are made to be daisy chained using their own batteries. This is often stated very clearly on the instructions for the UPS.

Whenever in doubt, call the maker.

nitro

4. Banjo

Banjo

Have never seen a small / home/small office surge protector that doesn't have a warning re: plugging a surge protector into another surge protector. Unusual specialized system would be required. The best systems are " conditioning" systems that not only stop the surges from getting to the machine but balance, keep the elec flow at very specific levels, at their outputs.

5. Ok Thanks for the info, guys. I thought it may overload it too but I knew there were some engineers here so I thought Id give it a shot. The worst offenders are those huge transformers that take up 2 (sometimes 3 or more) slots... Im going to get the surge protectors that specifically support these blocks next time.

6. balda

balda

most surge protectors rated 15 Amps about 1800 Watt.

some outlets are 15 Amps (1800 Watt) and some 20 Amps (2400 Watt)

even thou circuit breaker could be 20 Amps, outlet still can be 15 Amps.

make sure you do not use more than 1800 Watt total for the outlet.

7. The way to get around this is to buy a 2-prong plug available at Radio Shack really cheap. It is a short cord (6 inches) that has 2 female outlets on the end of it. You can then plug your large transformers into it. For $2.99+tax, they can't be beat.

Here's the link:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103297&cp

The description says 6' cord, but it is actually 6".

8. MRWSM

MRWSM

Wow, I've been doing this for years and never thought anything of it. I actually thought I was getting more protection. It's got to be better than nothing though. I'll have to see if I can re route the wires.

9. I've used a surge protector plugged into a UPS for years, just for the purpose to get more sockets. Never had a problem, could you elaborate what's wrong with that?