Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jun 17, 2013.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...-arizona-voter-citizenship-law-144253348.html

The Supreme Court announced on Monday it has struck down an Arizona law that required voters to provide documentary proof of citizenship before registering to vote.

In Arizona v. Inter Tribal Council, seven justices agreed that the Arizona law oversteps the state's authority by essentially invalidating the federal voter registration form. The form, established by a 1993 law, lets people register to vote by sending in a uniform document accepted by all states. Voters must swear they are citizens on the form.

In a 2004 ballot initiative, Arizona voters decided they wanted to go beyond that federal requirement, by asking for proof of citizenship—such as a birth certificate, passport or tribal ID card—at the point of voter registration.

Critics of the Arizona law argued that it stripped some voters of their ability to vote, because some civil rights groups estimate that about 13 million citizens do not have documentary proof of their citizenship. The law's supporters said it would guard against any attempts by noncitizens to vote in federal elections. Three other states had similar laws and joined in on the case.

The opinion striking down the Arizona law was written by Justice Antonin Scalia, one of the court's conservatives. Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas, also members of the court's conservative wing, disagreed with the ruling.

A year ago, the Supreme Court struck down several parts of Arizona's SB1070 law, which sought to give the state broader enforcement powers against unauthorized immigrants. The court in that ruling argued that the federal government's immigration laws preempted the state's, and that Arizona was interfering with federal power. The court did let a key aspect of the law stand, however, giving local and state police the power to inquire into immigration status during routine stops.

2. BSAM

BSAM

And this surprises who?

3. Considering its a majority conservative court probably many

4. BSAM

BSAM

Guess I'm just a little more skeptical than others.

5. pspr

pspr

The opinion said Arizona could ask the Feds to include the need for the documentation in their form and if they won't, Arizona could bring it back before the court. In short, it was a non-decision.

6. Eight

Eight

I feel that the Republican/Democrat voting booths violate my right to a secret ballot constitutionally. Who is going to take that to the supreme court?

7. achilles28

achilles28

How the fuck is non US citizen allowed to vote in a US election?

Should the rest of the world mail-in ballots in 2016?

This is treason.

8. Ricter

Ricter

I don't know this entire story but I do think voter eligibility should be verified somehow.

9. achilles28

achilles28

If it's not, there's 7 billion people on the planet that would really like to vote themselves a SS, disability, ebt payment. Hell, why not. We're all "global citizens" now, anyway.

10. Strike down the Supreme court.

#10     Jun 17, 2013