Supreme Court Nominee

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JWS11, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JWS11

JWS11

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Reject Elena Kagan's Nomination to Supreme Court"
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rejectelenakagan

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time. Thanks! :D

2. Yannis

Yannis

Good idea, let's :)

3. Don't they need only 51 votes from the Senate to confirm?

Her appointment is a done deal.

4. Yannis

Yannis

Let them do it over a widespread objection, as well publicized as possible, meaning that we are watching this... November is coming soon.

5. I cannot imagine that rejecting this candidate will cause a better one to surface. Dems control the presidency and the Congress.

6. Yannis

Yannis

Not after November. The nominations of liberal judges can be blocked after that point and a series of negotiations for more acceptable candidates can then take place. That's why Obama is in such a hurry.

7. Obama will still be president (he nominates), it is unlikely that the GOP will take either house, the GOP doesn't want to become just the party of NO, and Supreme Court nominees are almost never turned down. Further, it is very obvious that Kagan is going to be approved, to anyone who reads the news.

8. Kagan wrote a paper in college about how the confirmation process is a sham.

9. Yannis

Yannis

Disagree on both counts: they most likely will take the House, perhaps the Senate too. They should then play effective defense, stopping O at every key turn that makes sense. Being the party of "No" is better than being the party of "Who Cares."

10. Why not, the GOP is the biggest bunch of wussies I can think of.

#10     Jul 1, 2010