Supreme Court corrupted by corporate ...too!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by omegapoint, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Free speech shouldn't mean that the guy with the megaphone should be able to drown out the guy without one.

#11     Jan 21, 2010
  2. Just because Obama wanted to change the rules doesn't mean that he won't play the hand that he was dealt. Hate the game, not the player. Obama wanted to change the game.

#12     Jan 21, 2010
  3. Obama is going to try and change the whole Supreme court just like roosevelt.

#13     Jan 21, 2010
  4. I'm sorry, but I just can't buy the slippery slope argument for everything under the sun. Corporate America and the mega wealthy can exercise their freedom of speech all they want. What they, or anyone else, don't have is the right to make people listen to it. Their ability to purchase air time and print media at a price than nobody else can afford gives them a decisive edge which they do not deserve.

#14     Jan 21, 2010
  5. Let's not make a habit of it.:D

#15     Jan 21, 2010
  6. Corporations being free to donate to the campaigns of candidates that they like? No way.

#16     Jan 21, 2010

7. Well, to paraphrase Mr. Cooper, it would be a perversion of the principles of the Republic to confuse equality of rights with equality of condition.

#17     Jan 21, 2010
  8. As if this isn't enough, I now find myself in agreement with the likes of Olberman, Maddow, even Barney Frank. I fear the end of days is upon us. But, as I've stated before, truth is truth regardless of who speaks it. This ruling is bad, bad, bad for the average American.

#18     Jan 21, 2010
  9. On Nov. 21, 1864 President Abraham Lincoln wrote a letter to Colonel William F. Elkins. he wrote: "I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war."

#19     Jan 21, 2010
  10. Ricter

Ricter

Sounds prescient, until you consider that it's a recurrent scenario in history, the concentration of wealth and power into the hands of a few.

#20     Jan 22, 2010