Suppose you know you are an idiot, what profession should you choose?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lolatency, Mar 24, 2009.

1. :D Will get a copy immediately!

#51     Mar 25, 2009
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

They wont work at a job that actually requires work, that's for sure. My cousin has been working at a place where they are putting up a huge windmill farm for power. The pay is $14 an hour (excellent wages in Iowa) PLUS $50 CASH PER DAY EXTRA if you show up on time every day during the week...if you simply show up ON TIME, EVERY DAY during the week, you earn an extra $350 for that. They can't get people..meanwhile the unemployment office is full of people who are deserperate for work and "willing to do anything" (so long as it does not require actual physical labor I guess)

#52     Mar 25, 2009
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

On the flip side you could do the same basic thing but as a democrat. In that case the requirement would simply be to promise to steal from the rich to give to the unwashed masses and promise them that it's not their fault. Every now and then you should mouth off about what a terrible President Bush was and how because of it nothing that happens for the next 20 years will really be your fault anyway.

#53     Mar 25, 2009
  4. I'm not going to lie. I hate showing up to work on time. I make around $70/hr. I'm always like 15-20 min late. Don't know why, makes me angry just to get yelled at for being late, but I hate waking up.

But I tell you what, if they made a $50 bonus to show up on time, I would. Even if they diverted it out of my bonus as an on-time bonus or something.

I respond to immediate incentive, not delayed, hand-wavy "if you work hard you will get a bonus at the end of the year" incentives. Because, let's face it, if the market is bad and you worked your ass off, you get nothing. It's timing, timing, timing and has nothing to do with anything except timing.

#54     Mar 25, 2009
  5. This was a very entertaining thread. I wouldn't say Chairman of the Federal Reserve is for any stupid person, but I guess you might think I am by suggesting getting a credential that only 100,000 people in this world have: CFA.

#55     Mar 25, 2009
  6. Could you get a job painting animals? You could sing to them while you paint them.

#56     Mar 25, 2009
  7. LOL.
    I was actually thinking maybe playing guitar in a zoo, but I see where you're coming from.

#57     Mar 25, 2009
  8. Humpy

Humpy

The great pluses of financial trading are imho :-
    1. Own boss
    2. work any hours you like
    3. work from home
    4. make loads of money if you are any good at it

the problem is if you are an idiot and/or can't make loads of money

simple really, find someone who can and does and if you play it right will show you how. They have done the hard bit of "how to"
    - sharpen up on your brown-nosing skills after finding the bright guy and learn from him

#58     Mar 25, 2009
  9. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

If I knew I was an idiot, I would probably apply to be chief security officer at the local nuclear power plant.

In my free time, I would become an astronaut, a fat trader, a beer baron in the prohibition, a mayor, a food critic, a start-up owner...

Oh well, even if I am not stupid, I would love to be just that.

#59     Mar 25, 2009
  10. Fantastic.

#60     Mar 25, 2009