support/resistance in YM

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by sportmatt37, Jun 10, 2006.

1. thanks for the responses exactly what i was looking for

let me know if that backtesting goes well!

#21     Jun 10, 2006
  2. Here is the start of an "idea string" for you as to what might get you thinking - "string theory" works!

Lets say 1262.00 was your significant s/r level -

Bracket trade long account -

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/display.php?p=40005&u=5pillars&a=5Pillars&id=1699

Bracket trade short account -

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/display.php?p=40006&u=5pillars&a=5Pillars&id=1699

(*** DISCLAIMER*** Trademaven is shown for backtesting purposes only and is not being shown as "advice" to use this platform for real trading - LOL! :D )

How you manage, space out from s/r, or enter/exit bracket trades is up to you - but I am just trying to throw out some ideas for you to have a starting point. :)

#22     Jun 10, 2006
  3. #23     Jun 10, 2006
  4. =================

SportsMatt;
    Thats a good one.

Underlying stock trends help also;
    they tend to show in YM, ES.

As Jeff Hirsch/Stock Traders Almanac so wrote;
    first days of the month [like mostly first week of MAY=up, not June]
    occasional middle days [like next week , these tend to be up-support may hold]
    last days of the month, tend to be up, [even if up weaker in downtrend, like last uptrend in May looked to clear 50dma but did not]]

In other words , after the middle of month,
    because of May/JUNE monthly , weekly ,daily downtrends;
    resistance can be stronger than support simply because of downtrend action,50 period average downtrending .:cool:

Its an obvious probability on intraday charts also.:cool:

#24     Jun 10, 2006
  5. You defininetly should be watching the ES(S&P 500 mini) contract. At times the Dow will have a mind of its own, but normally it will ride the wave of the S&P 500.

#25     Jun 10, 2006
  6. thanks for the replies all very usefull

#26     Jun 10, 2006
  7. volente_00

volente_00

There are a lot of factors to consider. Did the market open gapped up or down ? How extreme was the move to where you are shorting or going long ? Is a key reversal time approaching ? Do you see how support became resistance for the past 3 days ?

http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=CBOT_YM.M06.E&v=i

#27     Jun 10, 2006
  8. Cheese

Cheese

OK what support/resistance? On what timeframe chart or on what size of tick, range or volume chart?

Now price if at an expected support or resistance, can and does overlap them even if ultimately price appears to respect them for the moment. How are you handling that?

Bottom line: support & resistance play will not make you your fortune whatever merits or demerits are argued for it.
    :)

#28     Jun 10, 2006
  9. sm37
    A site that is good at s/r is tradestalker.com, you can check out his nightly updates for free on a one day delay basis. May help confirm areas you find.
    Another thing to look at that I found priceless is a thread about market profile by Bolter. Cant find the link now but if you search for his name and scroll back a ways you'll find it. There were lots of posts.

#29     Jun 11, 2006
  10. so cheese, at the risk of being naive, what do you think is the best way to trade the futures?

#30     Jun 11, 2006