Support and resistance Question...

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Kastro_316, May 11, 2004.

1. Hey guys...I have a question about Support and resistance...it might be pretty lame but oh well :)

I dont know how to find the Support and resistance on a chart..

Heres the intra day chart for YAHOO today

http://ichart.yahoo.com/b?s=YHOO

can anyone tell me where the suppost and resistance line would be? and how do you find it on a chart?

Sorry for the newbie question. :confused:

2. girifox

girifox

Two ways:
    - get charting software for basic tech analysis and note high/low and midpoint of previous day, plus current week (as a start)
    - read news. You'll find many commentators include S&R in their commentary (ie. www.futuresource.com does this).

The second way is easiest :) plus can uncover where the herd is likely to act.

3. DTK

DTK

4. couldn't agree more

you need an EOD charting software. nothing fancy. try prophet.com javachart, they're free to a certain extend.

5. Osman

Osman

sometimes its hard to find strong Supports & Resistances on 1min charts, theres too many spikes and lulls in the trading day.

the further back you look, in time scale, the easier and the more significant the support/resistance levels become.

6. pspr

pspr

7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The definitions provided at the beginning which focus on prices paid is correct. However, the rest of it is largely half-truths. Trendlines and MAs do not in and of themselves provide support and resistance.

8. Volume traded at those levels is also very important in finding support and resistance. Here are our definitions and we have a few versions of support and resistance but this is good starting point.
    http://www.trade-ideas.com/Help.html#CAR

9. BSAM

BSAM

MAs do suck, for the most part. However, trendlines DO PROVIDE support and resistance; IF you know how to construct them. And as SocalTrader pointed out, one should also take note of volume.

10. Support & Resistance are the Extreme Tops & Bottoms in any price action. Price action is chart specific so Support & Resistance will be chart specific (Einstein). Once you see & believe that price is the perfect indicator then you need to find "ONE" accurate momentum indicator that consistently "reads" the price action to give you the confirmation of those Extreme Tops & Bottoms in the price action. It took me 8 years to find and verify it so start researching the indicators till you find it. Pack light your journey will be a hard one.

#10     May 11, 2004