Supplements for Joint Pain?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tsing Tao, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Am beginning to think decades of jujitsu and martial arts are going to result in the check finally coming due. Apart from Ginger for anti-inflammatory properties, what else can assist with joint function and lubrication - if anything. Hate to think I'll have to be on some arthritis meds in a few years.

2. luisHK

luisHK

There Are sevetal products which might help. I ve Just started Hyaluronic acid @400mg a day, see if it can help with meniscus degeneration.U can look it up, There are several studies available

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I know several people that swear by Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

birdman likes this.
  4. Glucosomine/Chondtroitin is often recommended for joint function/lubrication but my doctor told me two things:

1. It is a supplement so it may not work for everyone. Some people take it and feel better results within a week or so. All depends but you have to take it regularly to see.

2. Despite people who say they feel results in a few weeks, it usually takes a long time for the glu/cho to build up to really have an effect so you have to stick with it and be patient over time.

Most of the time, if you have a specific area of inflammation or pain, then icing after activity and rest helps a lot. Also I now wear a knee wrap for support for hoops and soccer and it does reduce post-running inflammation.

I have not been consistent enough with the glu/cho to give personal experience but enough people say it helps them that I am going to make a better effort to take it daily.

birdman likes this.
  5. Increasing testosterone through diet takes my sports injury pains away.

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

and then combine it with

birdman likes this.
  7. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

I can only speak for myself that degeneration is a slow process. 15 years ago had 50% cartiledge loss in knees(x-ray alone can determine this). Further 3 to 8 mm holes are through the cartilage and signal strength of meniscus is weak but intact meaning degeneration. This is simple wear and tear over time.
    Acceptance , Adaptation and and adjustment are key.
    Exercise itself is the magic pill. Find the ammount of rest where stiffness and other pains onset( 3 days for me) and then hit that body part with the correct amount of work and it feels great.
    It is very hard to come to grips with this in younger years when activities you love have to be modified or given up. Some extrapolate to knee replacement or wheelchairs but this is not the case .....you may have to substitute martial arts for weight lifting and slow heavy bag work
    as an example.

DTB2 likes this.
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I know this goes without saying, but one of the best remedies for joint pain is weight loss. The less you weigh, the less that gravity is pulling your bones down into your cartilage. So if you've gained 20 or 30lbs since your martial arts days, then getting your weight back down will be key to alleviating your joint issues.

9. Jones75

Jones75

I crushed two discs in my back just over three years ago, and found I had DDD. I have meds that knock me out when the pain is excruciating, but despise taking them. My back pain today is considered acute, since there's no regularity to it.

Along with changing my diet, I have tried using CBD oil (10), with < 1% THC (so I don't get high). I started using it, when needed, last summer, and take no other meds now.

I put it in v8 juice, to smother the taste. Seems to work at this time.

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I'm still in my martial arts days, thank you very much. I'm not dead yet!

I've gained some weight, maybe 10lbs, ok maybe 15 but it's there. Yes, I realize that this is the best way. :) As for your post regarding first this than this, no images are showing so I have no idea what you are recommending.

#10     Apr 10, 2018
    luisHK likes this.