Superstition, Luck and Voodo, the Sequel

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rs7, Mar 16, 2003.

1. rs7

rs7

Does it seem to help your trading? Is it "lucky" for you? Or do you just like the song? Are you a creature of habit and rituals?

I was in a room where one of they guys blasted "Good Morning" from Sergeant Peppper just prior to the opening bell for a few months. Then after a big losing day, he smashed the disk. (Not too long ago, actually).

This is the kind of thing I was trying to make the original thread about.

Peace my Brother,
    :)Rs7

#11     Mar 16, 2003
  2. Trane

Trane

I don't know if 'help' is the right word really and I don't believe in 'luck'.

When I step up to the plate I am not longing for anything new, but actually very much the opposite. I have already been to where I want to go. I think I play the song for the very same reason I look foward to each new session, because I am longing for repetition (?paradox?). Essentialy I am trying to go home and this is my way of remembering the way. If Flamenco 'helps' to do anything it is to fight the linear progression of time. Flamenco is my way of making it circular.

We may never be able to step into the same river twice, but who says the song can't remain the same...

PEACE [​IMG]

#12     Mar 16, 2003
  3. Magna

Magna Administrator

Flamenco Sketches, one of my favorite pieces from one of my alltime fave LP's (now CD), have it playing as I write this. And, here, on a Kind of Blue Sunday.... :cool:

#13     Mar 16, 2003
  4. Zuizo

Zuizo

Each morning, I sit still, for about 1 hour. Eyes closed, or sometimes left slightly open. Watching. Watching. Watching patiently, each thought that comes through the mind... I also watch the space between each thought. The thoughts are not judged or criticized, they are not rushed or intentionally stopped...

When thoughts are not fought with, divided, fragmented, they begin to slow...

The traffic, the noise... its no longer "rush" hour...

The thoughts are not important, it is the space in between...

Ahhh, the space...

As the space between 2 thoughts widens, that space is also dispassionately observed... the silence, the stillness, the clarity...

From that silence, there comes an integration, a connectedness with universal flow... it feeds the spirit of intuition...

I take that clarity into each day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that superstition, luck, voodoo, ritual?

Perhaps one would describe it as realizing, synchronizing, balancing, infinite creativity.

So you ask, does it help with trading?

the answer... wealth is abundant at EVERY level.

Peace my brothers,

-- Z

(to rs7, is this the type of reply which begins degrading the intended topic :) )

#14     Mar 16, 2003
  5. rs7

rs7

Nope, not at all. Good post. Thanks.

Kinda relevant to your post, one time I sat next to Pat Riley at a party. It was a very structured birthday party for my friend at his country club. It was going to be over at midnight sharp. So everyone knew when they were going to leave.

At about 11, Riley says to me he has to leave very soon. I asked him how come. He had a game the next afternoon at 1 pm. Practice was at 10 am. So I figured he had no real rush. But he told me that while the players showed up at 10, he got there at 7 or 7:30 am. He told me he would sit on a chair in the middle of the court for 3 hours or so in an empty arena, with his eyes closed, picturing what was going to happen that morning and that afternoon.

Your post reminded me of that.

Peace Brother Z
    :)rs7

#15     Mar 16, 2003
  6. Trane

Trane

No, but, it makes you a voodoo chile...

He took me past to the outskirts of infinity,
    And when he brought me back,
    He gave me a venus witch's ring
    Hey!
    And he said "Fly on, fly on"

PEACE [​IMG]

#16     Mar 16, 2003
  7. rs7

rs7

Was watching Jeopardy once, and the answer to a question was Hendix's "Voodo Chile".

Alex Trabek pronounce the answer (which no one knew) as "Voodo CHILE (as in chile peppers). Only mistake I recall him making. Of course there are plenty of questions I DON"T know the anwers to.

Peace, Brother Trane,
    :)Rs7

#17     Mar 16, 2003
  8. chit chat chit chat

F. P.

#18     Mar 16, 2003
  9. rs7

rs7

And you would expect what else here?

However, the reason I put this thread in the "Trading" forum section is that it seems to me that TRADERS seem to be exceptionally superstitious. At least more so than the population in general.

While the Chit Chat forum serves a legitimate function (a good place to waste time and debate non-trading related issues), I have serious doubts as to the percentage of those who post in Chit Chat who are actually involved in trading .... at least as a profession.

Even in the trading forums I have doubts about many of those who post. So many tip offs that the people do not actually trade at all. Or perhaps they are interested in being traders, but do not do it yet. Or dabble as a hobby.

It is easy to recognize the few who make a career of trading. The percentage is not high.

Peace FP, (is that an abbreviation for FPC?)
    :)rs7

#19     Mar 16, 2003

10. :D :D :D :D

:cool: SPC:cool:

#20     Mar 17, 2003