SuperMontage vs. ISLD Hidden Orders

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by bungrider, May 17, 2002.

1. I heard they were working on a Super Hidden order, that no one can see or trade against.

Just a rumor.

#21     May 18, 2002
  2. mike s

mike s

Shhhhh...

#22     May 18, 2002
  3. I think the problem here has nothing to do with your software, you probably just don't have access to the island book (ISB). If you did you would be able to see all those ISB's on your L2.

BTW, I'm a prop trader and I use software that is being developed by my company. It actually only shows 3 decimal places of info, but you can actually shave on island and instinet to 4 decimals if you want.

#23     May 18, 2002
  4. mike s

mike s

With Realtick I have the capability to integrate the ISLD book with my L2 but I haven't found an option for more than two decimal places.

Since some ISLD traders are able to hide their orders the lack of extra decimals probably won't make too much difference to me because a lot of those shaved prices are likely to be hidden....I picks me price and I makes me bet. As you mentioned, T&S is key.

#24     May 18, 2002
  5. vinigar

vinigar

SEE.......YOU GUYS THOUGHT I WAS PARINOID:D ....THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE THE ABILITY TO SEE AND READ THESE HIDDEN SHARES....I CAN'T EVEN READ THEM TO ONE DECIMAL POINT....I THINK ITS A CONSPIRACY.:D I'D WRITE A LETTER TO THE SEC ABOUT THIS UNFAIR PRACTICE.....BUT THEY WOULD PROBABLY THINK I WAS STILL WORKING FOR ENRON:D

#25     May 18, 2002
  6. It depends on how high the stock's price is. If its got a high price, seeing shaved prices on L2 becomes pretty useless. However, I wouldn't wanna play WCOM without seeing three decimals on my L2.

#26     May 18, 2002
  7. mike s

mike s

Yeah, I can certainly see how it would make a big difference in the WCOM price range/volume. I don't play those but I suppose it can actually become the spread.

I'm finding price shaving to be helpful in getting a short off at turning points.

Vinigar: I think it's okay to write the SEC. They'll probably just think you're part of the club! ;]

#27     May 18, 2002
  8. What brokers allow more than two decimal places in posts on Island??:)

I was using Datek and I don't think they do. I am now just starting to use Daytradz with Realtick and I dont they they do either.

I am looking at IB and I plan on asking them if they allow putting three places in my Island posts.

Thanks

#28     May 18, 2002
  9. First off, I think it's somewhat interesting that this many are surprised at the availablity/use of three decimals. It's just like when we used to shave by 1/256 back in fraction days. I do remember though that this was a function of your broker rather than the software as at the time I used Realtick and while at MarketWise we could shave by 256ths I know at many other RT based b/d's the most was by 64th's.

Regarding your point on getting off shorts using the shaving technique, just be aware that if you do this on a NMS stock where the spread is at one cent at the time you shave to get off the short, you have technically violated the uptick rule. And as you have probably surmised, many trading platforms will allow this. Having said that, I have never actually heard of anyone actually getting caught doing it but I guess you never know.

#29     May 19, 2002
  10. mike s

mike s

Did I say that???

What I really meant was "I found shaving with my shorts off to be a priceless turning point."

#30     May 19, 2002