Superior trader, a born talent or can be taught?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bitrend, Feb 27, 2006.

1. As a former martial arts and boxing coach I can tell you that any willing student can be taught anything but how well they do at it will be different for everyone.

It's many factors and not black and white.

Can trading be taught?... SURE but then it's up to you and that's the really hard part imo.

I always think of the movie Trading Places whenever posts like this pop up

:D

#31     Feb 28, 2006
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, let's use a comparison. Can reading be taught? Sure, most people expect a few dyslexics, are able to learn how to read and they can use that skill for the rest of thier lives. Let's say the ability to learn reading is 95% in people.

Now, how does learning to trade compares to learning to read?
    I think we can all agree, that 95% of the people are not able to learn trading, otherwise there were no farmers or hairdressers, only traders. :)

My personal guess is that out of 10 AVERAGE people learning ANY system, 1 will make a good living, 2-3 will be so-so, and the other 6 will be losers. So if I am correct, I would say about 25% of people are able to learn trading...

So Steve, you obviously missed my point. I didn't say there are no systems, that can even have a better average learning ratio (like let's say 2-3 good ones, 2-3 so-so and 4 losers), but on AVERAGE, most people are unable to learn a given system.

The more interesting question would be, why is that? My bet that it is the gambling part of trading, the psychological factor and sticking to the rules....

#32     Feb 28, 2006
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

OK, so if I make 100% annually and my students make 2%, is it considered a success???

After all, they are making money!!! :)

#33     Feb 28, 2006
  4. Concidering 90% of traders loose money sure ...:D

Like I said it's never black and white. :cool:

#34     Feb 28, 2006
  5. bitrend

bitrend

That's because he still a student, meaning that he is constantly learning, and once he will be completely independent he will be able to develop new method by himself based on what he has acquired and of course with his own experience as well.

That's why we, the majority, need to go to school in order to learn the basic, the fundamental in order to be able to find new thing. Otherwise, we will be struggling for a long time to find what is already has been found. If one is trying to find what Einstein & Newton had found, he will be struggled for his whole life and unable to build a rocket going to moon. If he learn what is already found then he can go further.

If one expect only to use what his teacher give to him, that person will likely to fail. But if he makes an extra effort, do the home work, then he will be able to succeed.

#35     Feb 28, 2006
  6. "Can trading be taught? My answer is simply no"

It would be nice if one day, some one was actually responsible for their own language.

This was "the point" I responded to.

I just copied it from your post.

You typed it out.

I assume you were thinking it, and then you typed it.

So I responded.

If you want to change your mind, try doing so in an adult way.

I don't mind modeling the adult way for you. It goes something like this;

"you know, when you put it that way, I can see that I was wrong. Obviously people can learn to trade, some successfully, some not so successfully, depending on their ability to learn and their innate talents".

See, that didn't hurt too badly did it?

Try it one day.

Steve

#36     Feb 28, 2006
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

No, no. In that example I didn't say how long the course was. He is a finished student, actually he took the class 3 times (we are talking theoretically here and tongue in cheek), still he is making 2% only.

But as another poster pointed it out, everything is relative.

Personally, I would count a student to be successful, if he/she is able to reach at least half of what the system achieves.

But again, if trading can be taught and there are so many trading courses all over, how come there aren't so many successful traders around??

#37     Feb 28, 2006
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

So Steve, did you have any new arguments, or you actually agree with me and just pulled out the good, old GRAMMER/SPELLLLING argument, because you realized that I was correct?

#38     Feb 28, 2006
  9. bitrend

bitrend

Because we all went to University with expectation to earn a high degree as possible, but not all of us will get Ph.D. including myself. But we can say we learned something and we are able to do the job, not at the same level as the guy with Ph.D. but we can do it. If we weren't been taught, we won't be able.

#39     Feb 28, 2006
  10. There is no need of a new argument. My first reply was sufficient.

You should try that type of "argument" the next time you have a losing trade. Try telling your broker that he is wrong. Although you hit the long you actually meant to be short...That should work.

My reply had nothing to do with grammar (usage) or spelling. Either you typed those words or you didn't. If you have been "possessed" by demons, let us know. Maybe your hands are under someone else's control. (Maybe the devil made you do it).

As it seems very important to you, by all means consider yourself right in whatever language you speak. :D

Steve

#40     Feb 28, 2006