Superbowl Halftime Show

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Toonces, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Alright, I guess I agree with you here. I really doubt this wasn't planned. Those involved probably don't want to admit it to cover their ass. I don't think everyone involved knew, though. Anyway, I agree that MTV may be trying to expand the limits of what is acceptable. I actually like that they're doing this. There is nothing wrong with the female nipple and it's ridiculous people act like it's some bad thing. MTV probably shares my opinion, so they push the limits. They're basically disrespecting bs, which I think is fine.

#11     Feb 2, 2004
  2. Well said. Pushing the limits, intentionally. MTV is masters at this. They can F**k with CBS, and pull stunts like that, simply for the fact that MTV is power in that industry.

I am still mad how it is done, though. I guess my problem with the whole thing, the thing that sickens me (and now I have a better grasp of it, after talking on this forum about it), is how they express that power, and the message they send.

Here: like this: They boldly allow this to occur, (and lets say Janet thing was not intentional... Fine. Just look at Nelly performance. That is not typical CBS style). Then, when they are called on it, they say its not anyones fault. They are sending a message(to the MTV crowd, mostly): You can do anything, and when caught, just deny it was meant to be like that. I am a firm believer that if you believe something, stick to it, and fess up. MTV likes to dance alot. (no pun intended). Thats my only problem. If I ran things, I would say "Yep. Thats right. It happened. Live with it".
    Some of my office mates are saying it wasnot intentional, and MTV must glorify it to cover their butts. That theory doesnt hold up with me (let me promote what just happened to cover my ass???).

#12     Feb 2, 2004
  3. I was hoping for more breast appearances, but I guess this was nipped in the bud because Janet's outfit was definitely not off the rack. Whoever produced that show was a boob.

#13     Feb 2, 2004
  4. tampa

tampa

The world is going to hell in a handbasket. The dollar is being destroyed to prop up a corrupt administration. Either the president is a lying s.o.b., or the entire inelegance system is worthless. Two thirds of the nation is suckered into viewing a meaningless, violent football game. But the talk today is about a middle aged woman's tit - and who knew what, and when did they know it.

(sigh)

#14     Feb 2, 2004
  5. lindq

lindq

You don't understand the issue. BROADCAST network television has a large responsibility to maintain certain standards, because they are using government alloted broadcast spectrum. And this is the way it should be. Networks have shown repeatedly, in their programming and stunts like this (and believe me, even if CBS didn't know about it, MTV did), that they will push the envelope as far as they can to gather ratings. So the line must be drawn somewhere. If you want to see tits and ass, male or female depending on your desires, there are plenty of places you can go when you chose to do so. But it should never be forced on families via broadcast television and the free airwaves.

#15     Feb 2, 2004
  6. Atlantic

Atlantic

so - those of you out there who think that children below x yrs should not see an exposed female breast - do you also think that baby's eyes should be covered during breastfeeding?

and on the other side - do you think that it is ok for - say - a 10 year old child to see the dead bodies in iraq?

#16     Feb 2, 2004
  7. tampa

tampa

...only if we are ashamed of dead bodies in Iraq.

#17     Feb 2, 2004
  8. No, you're missing the real issue. On what basis is the government dictating the female nipple should not be shown, but the male nipple can be? It's total bs..don't bother convincing me otherwise.

#18     Feb 2, 2004
  9. Turok

Turok

Shrewd, the government in this case is merely reflecting the views of the culture. The real question is why our culture sees it this way.

Like you I find it absurd.

JB

#19     Feb 2, 2004
  10. thank goodness there was no uncovered human anatomy interrupting the 24/7 live tv coverage of bombs falling on baghdad civilians.

think of the danger to US culture from kids seeing something like that.

#20     Feb 2, 2004