Super weird question on CPU GHz and Cores

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by GipsyMonkey, Sep 7, 2021.

1. d08

d08

No to my knowledge, it's a server CPU but its motherboards are all ECC supported. Although I would have gone with something like Ryzen 5900X if you could get it, it also "unofficially" support ECC. Unless you need more than 128GB of memory that is, in which case it's Epyc or Xeon.

And sort of expected, Intel is the reason we don't have ECC in every desktop machine:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...es-intel-for-lack-of-ecc-ram-in-consumer-pcs/

#21     Sep 8, 2021
  2. No. If there is a bit error in your RAM then there is nothing the CPU can do about it. It won't even recognize this.

#22     Sep 8, 2021
    trend2009 likes this.
  3. Axon

Axon

With a marketing department this powerful, I will look back in ten years regretting not YOLOing my whole stack on INTC.

#23     Sep 9, 2021
    d08 likes this.
  4. The company advised you wrong. Latency typically refers to network latency, the 0.1-0.3 ms you referred to. Lag often refers to a slow computer. As someone else mentioned, computers today are so fast, they should be able to handle real-time stock data. Today, CPU's instructions per cycle or clock (IPC) are efficient and they get better every year.

How fast your code runs or executes depends whether it is multi-core capable. You mentioned "your code compiles faster." This is vague. Does this mean you are compiling your own written code, such as C++ or FORTRAN? Do you want to compile your own written code faster using a compiler, run your own written code faster, or simply run a company's code faster?

If you are referring to running a company's code faster, such as a trading platform, it depends on whether the program supports multiple cores. Most programs today are multi-core capable so it probably does not make any difference as long as your CPU has 4 or more hardware cores. In addition, having a dedicated video card, even a slower one, helps offload the workload from the CPU. Unfortunately, today it is virtually impossible to buy a video card unless you buy from a scalper. This makes it very difficult to build a PC.

You did not mention which O/S, operating system, you use. If you are using Windows 10, you should know W10 can have many unnecessary processes running. These unnecessary processes can greatly slow down your computer, using up as much as 30% of your CPU and even GPU (graphics card) cycles. Whenever you build or receive a computer, after installing and updating your software, a priority is to tweak your system by reducing the number of unnecessary programs and services.

As someone mentioned, upgrading to an SSD or M.2 NVMe will speed up your system by at least 3 times. Moving your spinning hard drive to secondary status is the best way to speed up your system.

As a side note, next year AMD's Zen 4 CPU's are expected to arrive. Zen 4 CPU's are predicted to be at least 30% faster. So maybe it doesn't matter if video cards are not available now. It's probably better to just wait for Zen 4. Also, Intel's DG2 video cards are expected later this year. This will help make more cards available for everyone and hopefully AMD users can also use Intel's DG2 cards in their systems.

BTW, I don't believe Intel Xeon CPU's with ECC RAM are required for general computing. However, what you want to do is test your non-ECC RAM using free MemTest86 every 6 months. Once RAM on a system is tested to work correctly for a year, failures are said to be rare. Just make sure you use a high quality power supply and a high quality surge suppressor or UPS system.
    ======================
    Use all software and hardware at your own risk. Make all changes to your system at your own risk.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    #24     Sep 11, 2021
    dholliday, trend2009 and virtusa like this.
  5. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

I had the same issue with TS. The trading software is the other part of the equation. A lot of stuff is pretty poorly written, such that if you turn on many "features" or try to process a lot of data, the software flails. That being said the issue is "when does it flail?". You need a minimum amount of computing power.

Personally I run the minimum software and make sure my hardware can handle 2x-3x the normal load.

#25     Sep 12, 2021
    dholliday likes this.