"super trend stops" indicator

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Jdesey, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

I came across this indicator in Sierra Charts. It looks like it uses some calculation off ATR to put in long/short stops on chart as horizontal bars under/over price. see attached sample from NQ chart

anyone using this? comments? Capture.PNG

2. Handle123

Handle123

Horizontals lines look like parabolics?

beginner66 likes this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

There are thousands of indicators out there.

So far, I find the best indicator is NO indicator .

Anyway use whatever indicator you are confident and comfortable with.

MsFutures likes this.
  4. Xela

Xela

Yes, I remember (vaguely) ... it's just an ATR multiplier, I think?

It can allegedly be used for trade entries as a sort of "volatility breakout indicator" (but surely an awful one?), or as a kind of trailing stop.

It "can't possibly" be as good, over the long term, as simply trailing a stop-loss manually just above/below the most recently formed swing-high/low of the price. I can't prove that at all, needless to say, but if anyone can disprove it, I'll eat my shoes (I'm not still wearing hats).

In short, it's a substitute display for a combination of an ATR and a multiplication factor and some thought about how ATR can really help. I'd advise against it, really.

5. SteveH

SteveH

I've used SuperTrend (ST) for years. I see intraday trends as 3 levels of strength as they progress: the 9 wma, the 20 ema and the ST.

The common practice is to use the ST as a stop loss or reversal. I don't. I use it for a S/R on the first two touches in a strong trend or as an area to fade in a channel. You'll get very good reward to risk ratios off of it for not having to be more than 45-55% right.

If I'm trading a 1 min chart and price is surging well, I'll look at the levels of the ST on either the 5/15/30/60 min for targets. That is, in an uptrend, the ST will be below price, and I'm looking for a ST that's above price on a higher timeframe for resistance. Like it also on the 5 tick range chart for faster trading on the e-minis and CL.

There's a lesson in this I guess. One day, I put it on my charts, made no judgements of its efficacy, didn't read up on "how to use it", made my own decisions on how/where/when it was useful after several months of intraday monitoring.

I HATE hunting for horizontal S/R across timeframes. The ST finds ones that are just as good as any others and it's zero analysis in real-time. That's a big deal to me on 1 min and 5 tick range charts.

[BTW, go to the last post I made before this. Yesterday, every e-mini was a dog just after the first hour of RTH...except the NQ. What did I say? DON'T LET PRICE GET AWAY FROM THE FIRST HOUR RANGE WITHOUT YOU ON BOARD.]

6. speedo

speedo

I agree with your point on "how to use it". If you want to try a tool, put it on your charts and observe it's behavior vis a vis price behavior. If something pops out to you, test it.

7. birdman

birdman