Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbud, Feb 23, 2008.

1. #11     Feb 28, 2008
  2. kinar

kinar

it isn't.

The only thing that satelitte internet has over "terrestrial" (for lack of a better word) internet services is that the range of service is absolutely HUGE. For example, most of the US can be serviced from a single satellite (assuming the satelitte could handle the bandwidth). If you were to move hundreds of miles away, you could still just set back up and continue where you left off.

For everything else, satellite internet service will be worse. The only people who should even consider satellite service are people who don't care about latency and cannot get any other broadband service.

NOTE: I just re-read my previous post (2 up from this one) and realised I forgot to say that I was comparing the satellite distance to the distance from NY to LA (394,000 meters)

#12     Feb 28, 2008
  3. sim03

sim03

You are off by a factor of 10.

#13     Feb 29, 2008
  4. kinar

kinar

yeah, yer right....I looked that number up instead of doing the conversion myself. I should have noticed it was off by so much.

direct distance from NY to LA is about 2500 mi.

2500mi * 1.609344 km / mi = 4023 km = 4,023,000m

which means that response time distance would be approx 8,000,000m or 17.5 times shorter than satellite.

When I initially typed this up I balked at the 175x number but was kinda in a hurry so I didn't double check it....that'll teach me..

#14     Feb 29, 2008
  5. No problem, it happens, but the best part is that you realized your mistake, that helps. Self-realization is the best way to improve and wish more people can admit mistakes like you. :)

#15     Feb 29, 2008
  6. 100Mbps over optical fiber cable is available almost everywhere here. I've been using it for about 5 years and can remember only
    one outage. The cost is about $37 a month including VoIP.
    TV cable companies are starting to increase the speed to
    160Mbps.
    I also have a PC card that I can use with my laptop in most parts
    of Japan at 7.2Mbps.

So I guess I've now made you quite envious! But on the other hand you just can't get a good pastrami sandwich here.

#16     Mar 15, 2008
  7. mokwit

mokwit

Satellite makes sense if you are streaming thousands of symbols.

#17     Mar 15, 2008
  8. What service do you use?

#18     Mar 16, 2008

9. I use NTT Flets.

#19     Mar 16, 2008
  10. No pastrami sandwiches!?!?! Sounds like a business opportunity.

#20     Mar 16, 2008