Super-Materialist China: Without an apartment, love isn't possible.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Grandluxe, Mar 26, 2011.

1. They have gone totally bonkers about money.
    What happened to Communism, Egalitarianism, Maoism?Red China?

Letter from China
    In China, Money Can Often Buy Love

BEIJING — Money really can buy you love in China — or at least that seems to be a common belief in this increasingly materialistic country.

Many personal stories seem to confirm that the ideal mate is the one who can deliver a home and a car, among other things; sentiment is secondary.

However widespread this mercantilist spirit, not everyone thinks it is a good thing. A spate of Chinese films, plays and television shows have raised the question: What is love in an age of breakneck economic growth?

Many Chinese were shocked this year when a female contestant on a popular TV dating show, “If You Are the One,” announced: “I’d rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle.” But others insisted that the contestant, Ma Nuo, now popularly known as “the BMW woman,” was merely expressing a social reality.

Rocketing property prices in recent years have contributed to such feelings, with many people in Beijing and other cities accepting the idea that a woman will pursue a relationship with a man only if he already owns an apartment.

On the wildly popular TV reality program "Don't Bother Me Unless You're Serious," one woman tried to size up a suitor by asking matter-of-factly, "Do you have money?"

The man cut to the chase: "I have three flats in Shanghai."

Feng Yuan, a 26-year-old who works in a government education company, tried to set up a friend with a man she thought suitable.

“When she heard he didn’t own an apartment, she refused even to meet him,” recalled Ms. Feng. “She said, ‘What’s the point? Without an apartment, love isn’t possible.”’

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/12/world/asia/12iht-letter.html?_r=1

2. In love, money is just a means of assessing a mans drive, brains, determination, leadership, etc.. which are all attractive traits. Because generally you need those attributes to make a lot of money. So I don't find any reason to hold that against women.

But ultimately balance is the key, a little drive, a little personality, a little good looks, etc... is all you really need.

3. In love, money is just a means of assessing a mans drive, brains, determination, leadership, etc.. which are all attractive traits. Because generally you need those attributes to make a lot of money. So I don't find any reason to hold that against women.

But ultimately balance is the key, a little drive, a little personality, a little good looks, etc... is all you really need.
    --------------------------------------------
    If that's the case then why do so many women fall for good for nothing, wife beating bad asses:confused:

4. For the same reasons guys fall in love with fat chicks, because they don't believe they deserve or can do better.

5. Americanizatin in full throttle

What can stop the americanization of the world?

alas

6. DT-waw

DT-waw

these women are victims of inflated egos.
    they will never be happy, no matter how many or how great apartments man will offer.
    a man hanging out with such woman will also be unhappy.

the ego is the root cause of human suffering.

many decades will pass until women in china (and elsewhere) will uplift above materialism

7. DT-waw

DT-waw

look at the eckhart tolle popularity in america!
    certainly, a new trend is emerging.

i wonder how many american or canadian women are interested in such topics?

great to see celebrities joining in- oprah, jim carrey.

it would be very interesting to see whether materialism will appear among hindu women too.

8. Marxism is the materialistic branch of Hegelianism.

9. jinxu

jinxu

I think this is her. She's a model.

[​IMG]

10. Just caught some news coverage on CNN about the L. Lohan theft. I am expiditing my expatraition plan. System is broke consumer culture has reach an apex.

Akuma

#10     Mar 26, 2011