Super Computing

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Rapunzel, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Rapunzel

Rapunzel

Hi Folks, I wanted to find out if anyone has experience of renting and using supercomputer time to perform a large number of calculations in an modelling (offline) process.

Looks like I might need it and would appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks.

2. Amazon AWS. You can spend $1 billion on compute time if you want or just a few dollars. What sort of problem are you trying to solve?

Rapunzel likes this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Got an hour to kill and over $1000 burning a hole in your pocket?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  4. mervyn

mervyn

if you are a programmer, you can get aws or azure.

5. What kind of application is it? (integer only like for crypto, or mainly floating point/finance?).

Some years ago I did use 8 networked Linux servers each with 4 or 6 CPU cores (total about 40 TCP/IP processors for processing the partial jobs) for my biggest simulation yet. I did it on retail cloud servers like this one: https://www.hetzner.com/cloud
    Nowadays the CPUs have way much more cores/threads, for example top end AMD EPYC have 64c/128 threads, or even more), and one can of course also network many dedicated servers together using fast network links.

6. This could end up being some very expensive over fitting. lol.

rb7 likes this.
  7. ValeryN

ValeryN

Here is an idea, depending on what you call a "super computer" and if you have somewhat of an ongoing need -

A 64 threads / 256G RAM Dell PowerEdge 620 of the Ebay is ~1k.
    Renting them from AWS would cost 100-200% of that for 1 month.

globalarbtrader and rb7 like this.
  8. 2rosy

2rosy

you probably don't need it but you can try a free account with databricks, firebolt, snowflake, ...

9. heispark

heispark

Modelling? Are you sure? I suspect you mean crypto mining as you post in this trading website...... :sneaky:

Rapunzel likes this.
  10. For crypto mining, ASIC fits better than CPU or GPU.
    For crypto research, GPU (ie. compute units, vector processors, SIMD) could be used. A cheaper but slower alternative is of course CPU.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    #10     Aug 3, 2022