Sun Belt Fading: 'Ghostdivisions,' Joblessness, Tax Base Withering, Losing Population

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, May 30, 2009.

1. Arnie

Arnie

There's alot of talk about the "New Urbanism". The theory being that people will move back to the cities due to rising energy costs, a better, eco friendly lifestyle, ride your bike to work, blah, blah, blah.....

Total bullshit to think massive amounts of people are going to move back to inner cities. If you believe that, then go to Detroit and start buying land.

The article is nothing more than an anecdotal summmary, colored by the authors view.

I lived in a hip, inner city neighborhood with a large college age crowd. As soon as they get married and have kids, they're gone. Why? Because the schools suck, housing is expensive and RE taxes are almost twice what a comparable house in the county would be. Oh, yea. The crime rate is higher.

I know it's wet dream for the social planners, but the cities are not coming back.

#11     May 31, 2009
  2. The facts speak otherwise. Real Estate in Detroit... when there is blood in the streets...

I think detroit is an extreme example but the huge growth in Manhattan and Atlanta are contrary to your unverified claims.

#12     Jun 1, 2009
  3. Arnie

Arnie

What "facts"?

#13     Jun 1, 2009
  4. [​IMG]

#14     Jun 1, 2009
  5. Arnie

Arnie

#15     Jun 1, 2009
  6. yea but it's from the Washington Post.:eek:

#16     Jun 1, 2009
  7. This is completely true of Chicago

#17     Jun 1, 2009
  8. Mecro

Mecro

Check your calendar lately?

Your "facts" are almost a decade old.

#18     Jun 1, 2009
  9. Mecro

Mecro

Holy shit, you hating bigtime. Did you have a traumatizing tourist visit to NYC or LA? It's ok, you'll get over it, just go around your redneck town, say hello to your cousins and don't forget to stop by the only traffic light.

#19     Jun 1, 2009
  10. Post something newer which proves otherwise. 3 years old is no where near "almost a decade old." same goes for the idiot who posted stars from 1996 - 2000. Post some from 2006 or newer which refutes what I posted.

#20     Jun 1, 2009