Summer Internship Prop Trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by C.R.E.A.M., Nov 29, 2006.

1. I am a Junior straight A Finance student who has been trading for close to a year with very good results. I am looking for an internship this summer and would love to be able to work with a trading firm to get a feel for how they operate, as well as make a little bit of money. I know there are some trading internships that are advertised, but they are few and far between. Also, I'd like to work with someone reputable and not just a firm that gives any Joe with the required capital a platform. All information would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

2. I know that Mr. Bright once offered internships to UNLV students, but I'm on the East Coast and it would be better(cheaper) to stay in Boston, New York, or possibly Chicago.

3. Tuneman

Tuneman

i havent found one, I posted a somewhat similar topic, and someone raised the great point of why would they give a unproven trader their money when they could trade it themselves?

4. Isn't that what many prop firms do, you give them a certain sum up front and they train you and give you access to their capital in return?

5. Tuneman

Tuneman

Ya but that surely doesn't describe a internship... My definition is a paid or unpaid 3 month job where you learn the biz.

6. Drew07

Drew07

I also posted a similar question. I communicated with Don Bright some and he told me that Bright offers college internships for class credit. It wasn't clear whether it had to be through UNLV or not as many internships do have to be through a University for credit (I was hired to intern with Merrill Lynch and it ended up being a disaster trying to obtain college credit in order to do it) I also sent a bunch of emails requesting info on internships to other prop firms..most didn't reply. Just send a shitload of emails and I wouldn't be surprised if Don posts a response on here. Good Luck.

7. Yeah its that time of the year and im on my search for a trading internship. I have a list of potentials but im not just going to throw them out there since it has taken me hours ot compile it.

I may be wrong but tell me if you agree with me on this. I think the single most important aspect of an internship is to learn if a job or industry is a career fit for you. I feel like I know a decent amount about how the market works and all that but a firm doesnt really want that, they want to teach you their trading model and if you can apply it great, if not then your not fit for them.

Since I am absolutely positively sure that I want to be a trader the single most important aspect of an internship with me is that I am able to spend time with a senior trader doing his/her grunt work and in return learning as much as I can about what it takes to be sucesssful in the business.

If you are a straight A student that certainly helps, if you are a straight A student at an elite university even better, I am a junior at the university of maryland with a paltry 2.7 GPA, but i know without a doubt there is no job i would rather have than to trade.

Now for my two cents on the process atleast as to what I am doing, since i have read about many different traders I am looking for their respective companies and trying to get internships at there. It may be a stretch but if you show a little interest in them they may be willing to extend a helping hand. Just be prepared to work.

If there are any other college students looking for internships and would like to join me in the search for potentials please feel free to PM me. Location is not an issue for me I will move anywhere in the country for an internship under the right mentor.

GOOD LUCK!

8. I graduated college in 2001... Went to a top Liberal arts school.. had a respectable GPA.... I had internships every year in college... freshman year local brokerage firm... sophomore year a small fund.... Junior year on the floor of the NYSE... Senior yea venture capital firm in the city.... No one in my family is in this industry... I was not fed by a sliver spoon... I busted my ass to get where I am today (top sell side firm as an institutional equity trader) I was selected out of a few thousand applicants to enter into a top trading program at one of the best firms on Wall St. I am young making great money... not the point. My point is you need to be proactive and contact as many legit YES LEGIT firms as you can. I truly do not think it is wise to get an internship at a daytrading firm... I would shoot for a small hedge fund, sell side desk or legit PROP desk... Trust me it takes determination that is all... NOT a gpa... Show desire, honesty and maturity.... pressure these firms to let you in and do it for free... I will answer all PMs as I like to help those who are as hungry as I was and still am. I vowed to myself that if I ever broke into "Wall St." I would be there to help others in similar situations I was in.... Best of Luck. I have nothing against daytrading firms I just think they are meant for experienced traders... THat is my problem with them... way too many rookies and shady firms out there inflatiing the hopes and dreams of suckers.

9. Tuneman

Tuneman

well thats a good story, and I enjoy the message that all it takes is determination, but like you said you had a good GPA, you did do the internships, etc...

What about someone like me who only realized that they wanted to do trading after they graduated, had a mediocre GPA and a very difficult, but unrelated major. I have been out of college and unemployed for about 4 months now, and practically driving myself psychotic for a way to get into this industry. As much as I would like to think determination is all you need, banks, and hedge funds do not ask you to list your determination, they ask you to list your GPA, schooling, and experience. I am very happy with your success, but I think saying all you need is determination, is somewhat of a sweeping generalization. But perhaps I am wrong.

10. letsroll

letsroll Guest

Tuneman,

Im going to guess that you are probably fairly young (Jr in college). Im sure you have been to an incredible night club or an amazing restaurant that is packed every night, and you said to yourself " Man, Id love to own a place like this, I bet the owner makes millions", "I would do anything to get into this business".

Now who wouldn't love to own a place like that and make big bucks. I would love to get out of college, and be unemployed for 4 months, and just bam ! own a place like that and make millions !

My point is, to be an independent trader you need capital, and you need to know how to trade. You should get a job with a financial firm, something that will expose you to trading. It will probably be entry level, and it will not be glamorous, but you will learn, and build up some capital. PB was right you are barking up the wrong tree looking for an internship with a prop firm.

If you wanted to own that night club, and you did not have any capital, and did not know the first thing about owning a night club, you might want to start out as a bartender.

#10     Nov 29, 2006