suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onewaypockets, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Suggestions?

I am buying a new computer next week after driving my old poor Pent II into the ground for the last 6 years. I will need to be able to run eSignal 8.0 (coming soon) with charts, Jurik and custom efs studies as well as ProSizer (Monte Carlo Simulation), broker software, etc.

This proposed computer may be slight overkill for now, but I believe in buying top of the line because I feel I might get a year or two extra use at the other end of it's life span. This proved to be the case when I purchased my Pent II. And yes, I know a "hot rod" computer will not make me a better trader, but right now I must restart my computer several times during a trading day because it bogs down and eventually freezes. This has not been a problem since I position trade.

Here is what I came up with on the order form builder. What would any of you change or add to this order or think unnecessary? Comments are also appreciated about the price, etc.

CASE: [SILVER ONLY] COOLERMASTER CENTURION CAC-T01EK 420Watt

CD: 56x CD-ROM SILVER COLOR

CPU: [800 FSB] Intel Pentium 4 CPU @ 3.2GHZ CPU

FAN: INTEL CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE SILVER COLOR

HDD: Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM ATA 100 8MB Special Edition

MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY

MEMORYUPGRADE: From Standard Memory to CORSAIR High Performance Memory W/ Heat Spreader

MOTHERBOARD: DDR400-800MHz FSB] Gigabyte GA-8IPE/1000 I865PE 800MHz FSB AGP 8X AGP
    NETWORK: NONE, OR ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

SPEAKERS: NONE

VIDEO: ATI RADEON 9200 128MB DDR W/ TV-OUT & DVI

SPEAKERS: NONE

PRICE: (+$1228)

RUSH: NO; SHIP OUT IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE TIME TECHNICAL

2. balda

balda

have not used one in a long time

3. Well, true. I have not really used my floppy in a long time either. I guess it's kinda like a VCR. I don't use that much either, but I kind of like to have one around in case someone gives me a tape, etc.

Should I order my new 'puter without one???

4. I'd make sure it also contained a few extra UBS ports as well as a firewire ability.

You could punt on the floppy and get a USB one for about $20. That way you just connect it when (if) you need it.

I'd also look into adding a network card. While you didn't address the high speed Internet, sounds as though you'll be there. In that event you'll need to connect up. Maybe even wireless.

Lastly, make sure you get a hardware firewall here. All this ability does not need to be compromised. :)

5. mktman

mktman

No CDRW for backups on software?

Add a second hdd with Raid 1 setup if you can with mb.

mktman

6. I read somewhere that the Intel Motherboard I listed (the Gigabit) had an outstanding LAN throughput built in. Is there an advantage running a seperate LAN card? I have a couple laying around from the cable company, should I use one of those or are new ones like the 3Com offered from the computer builder more up to date?

The idea of adding more USB is something I will do. Both my printer and scanner would take up both of the supplied ones.

As far as the hardware firewall, does Black Ice Defender software count? I have that and the virus protection program AVG from Grisoft.com. Would a router offer better hacking protection, I heard somewhere that would be more of a "hardware" firewall?

7. The CDRW for software backups is a great idea. I had not considered it, I was thinking CDRW would be for cutting music CD's, something I am not really into.

The second HD w' RAID is something I am not sure I need. Right now I have been using a Maxtor 20G for years, I have only taken up 4G. Guess I am very unusual. I picked the WD 80G special edition for the new computer cause I thought it might be reliable, fast, and has the buffer. Are there other advantages for having two HD's?

My Direct TV Tivo unit out in the other room has dual 120g that is mostly full....go figure!:D

8. mktman

mktman

Redundacy.
    If one fails your not locked out.

Careful with onboard nic.
    Many pointed out here to watch out for lightning.
    With a PCI card will just take out the card if onboard could lose mb and many other components.

mktman