Suggestions please for backup programme?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by David_IT777, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Billf2

Billf2

Why not consider online backup - I use it as another layer of backup security.

My backup strategy is as follows:
    a) Continuous online backup using www.crashplan.com of the most important directories on our Macs (crashplan works with Macs & PCs)

b) Fortnightly backups to external Lacie Hard discs that are stored off site.

Since I've added the online backup via Crashplan I have reduced my external backups to fortnightly from weekly and feel very comfortable about my ability to recover lost files.

Online backup is brilliant. Any file created (depending on its size and your internet upload speed) is backed up within the hour! All our backup is off site which is a most valuable defense against fire or burglary (as happened to us recently) of your trading office.

How much does online backup cost? Most vendors (i've tried www.carbonite.com (PC only at the moment), www.mozybackup.com and of course www.crashplan.com (my preference) charge around $5/ month. Crashplan gives you the added flexibility to backup to any other computer connected to the net for free. The other cost involved depending on file creation rates and size is your monthly bandwidth allocation. I had to double ours from 12Gb to 25Gb thus doubling our monthly ISP fees. Its worth every penny for the peace of mind thankyou and its hassle free - it just happens.

Give Online backup a try - they all offer 30 day trials.

Bill...

#21     Apr 21, 2007
  2. I use ibackup, another online backup provider. For backing up to cd or dvd, nothing special; I just copy/paste. I rely on ibackup to keep me going even if I crash, and it has served me well.

#22     Apr 26, 2007
  3. Recently switched to an off site backup provider called bitarmour. Pretty slick. Uploads your important files automatically when you sleep. Even if your house burns down they will be safe.

#23     Apr 26, 2007
  4. Online backups? :confused:

Putting your personal info on an unknown machine? :confused:

Your data being backed up at that location on who knows what? :confused:

Their backup media is who knows where? :confused:

You have no longer any control of your confidential data? :confused:

Huh? :confused:

Maybe a USB hard disk with a backup program & taking the backup external disk to a different site, like the house of a family member or better yet a safety deposit box for safe keeping. :)

#24     Apr 30, 2007
  5. Another vote for Acronis.

#25     May 1, 2007