Suggestions for Software and other misc.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by demonet, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Merc

Merc

demonet,

Can you compare these charting application: QT vs. Sierra vs. prophet vs. nextrend?
    As I understand they are in the same class and similar level charting platforms?

I am like you, in the search for perfection!

Cheers.

#41     Sep 24, 2003
  2. Bob111

Bob111

you mean you want charts for options or what? i'm totally lost in your research....
    can you just try all things,compare and make your own decision?
    Thank you!

#42     Sep 24, 2003
  3. demonet

demonet

Really Bob111, I thought the curmudgeonly quality you had exhibited on Sunday was just because it was the end of the weekend, but I now see that this nasty character feature of yours is a bit more chronic.

I have not used eSignal except for their online demo, but from my understanding of charting applications, there are two components: (i) the chart itself, AND (ii) the data....the part that, without which, part (i) is not really all that useful. The data is needed to create the points/bars/candlesticks ON the chart. Following this Bob111?

For those of you familiar with eSignal, it comes in many flavors. The ones I was looking at were : (A) eSignal "equities basic" which includes charting and the data from which to make charts for stocks, for: the CME E-Minis, and CBOT Mini-Sized Futures... further up the product line we have (B) eSignal "equities" which includes a data feed for: stocks, the CME E-Minis, and CBOT Mini-Sized Futures (same as the first package) but also allows one the added benefit of an "advanced charting", which, presumably translates into more studies/indicators and bells/whistles, to use with the aforementioned data.

However, not until we get to eSignal (the standard package), do we get data for stocks, options, futures (i.e. comprehensive futures data and, options data not available in equities or equities basic as described above); this standard package also provides the "advanced charting" feature in eSignal "equities".

My question simply is as follows: can eSignal use data from another source. I do not wish to pay for the standard package which will put me over $200/month just to get options data from which to use their program to chart. BUT, IB provides options data, and their are other sources from this data, but I am not sure if I can use data obtained outside of eSignal in eSignal.

It is really a simple question Bob111, and I do not think you needed to be as impolite as you appeared to be in your post. If I am wrong, and you had no intention of being impolite, then I humbly apologize for any venom contained herein directed back at you.

P

#43     Sep 24, 2003
  4. Do you know Crestron and AMX??

#44     Sep 24, 2003
  5. demonet, I am pretty sure that with eSignal, you have to use eSignal data.

Your other option (no pun intended) would be to use another program (hint hint - QuoteTracker) with IB data for options, thus not increasing your cost (or increasing it minimally if you register QT)

If you are only getting options quotes from IB into QT, the amount of load on your system will be minimal, so running it along with eSignal should not be a problem.

Jerry

#45     Sep 24, 2003
  6. demonet

demonet

That is a great idea Jerry as I had not thought of the obvious...that being that could just narrow QT to show the options data/charts. And when registered, I can get 5 days of backfill right? (in other words, I want to avoid IQfeed, Mytrack, etc.).

Thanks Jerry. Is there any problem you can't solve with QT? Maybe you should get a radio show....it could be like a "Chicken Soup for the Trader's Soul" or something like that. In 60 years we would still be hearing your radio spots like Paul Harvey, invoking your timeless anecdotes on how QT came to the rescue when all around the world seemed dim. :p

Parker

#46     Sep 24, 2003
  7. reg

reg

While we're at it, do you need someone to change your diapers too?:D
    Anyway, Jerry's info is right on the money. Now get busy and start trading - we need our share of your 10k. :)

#47     Sep 24, 2003
  8. Well, not quite. IB does not provide backfill data, at least not yet. I keep hearing that it is something being worked on, but don't know any more on the subject beyond that. Therefore, if you are running QT during the day and it is getting quotes, after 5 days you will have full 5 day charts. You can backfill for the current day with free source - Scottrade. Far from the best, but hey - its free.

Jerry Medved
    http://www.quotetracker.com

#48     Sep 24, 2003
  9. demonet

demonet

You might get a very tiny piece of that 10K...IF perhaps you were a very well-capitalized floor trader....

but aside from that, next time in you are in short squeeze...think of me, because I was the one who decided to go long when you were still playing with your MSN.com scanner.

:D

Parker

#49     Sep 24, 2003
  10. Bob111

Bob111

damm... what a difference from first to last post..

totally agree with reg-we need you..start trading, man!
    and keep us posted about your trading plan!

you start with1-5 days swing,then intraday,now options charts..what else is missing? pork bellies i think:D :D :D

#50     Sep 24, 2003