Suggestions for Software and other misc.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by demonet, Sep 20, 2003.

1. demonet

demonet

I didn't mean that the "broker" had the best quotes, only that the quotes among my chart provider and my broker may be different.

If I was to want to sell short 100 shares of UPS at 64.5, and was waiting for an uptick, isn't it possible that I might see such an uptick in eSignal knowing my order will be filled, but is it possible for the IB feed to show differently? I realize that such an order with IB will likely be filled in maybe the next few seconds, but unless all data is exactly the same, I thought it might be frustrating to have two sources for data: (i) one to make decisions with and (ii) another source through which my order is being filled, which may be incongrous to my decision making data.

Or am I completely mistaken and over-concerned about the whole thing? :)

Thanks again for the patience.

#21     Sep 21, 2003
  2. Speaking of IB quotes, has anyone ever noticed that if you have a line for MMM SMART and one for MMM NYSE on your active TWS page, sometimes every trade gets reported a penny or a couple of cents higher or lower on the NYSE line than on the SMART line? The only way to fix this problem is to switch to other TWS pages and then back, so that all MMM quotes have to be initialized again. (I am using TWS 788.5, so this issue might have been fixed a long time ago.)

#22     Sep 21, 2003
  3. Bob111

Bob111

totally agree with electron-you want to trade swing, and at same time you want to get level2? at same time you not even familiar with daytrading rules...what the fu..k you gonna do with level2?
    dig forum,use search option-there many of your questions been discussed here already 100 times. about TWS for example.
    you want to trade swing? get IB,save you intraday trades for situation,when you going to be stopped in same day. or you believe it will never happen to you?
    TWS + QT-more than enough for you. Quote Plus +Wealth Lab if you want to do serious backtesting,create systems,complicated scans etc..if you dig deep enough-you will find it for free. there is plenty of solutions,how to collect EOD data..WL have fibo levels(which you like so much)btw- i did not see a big problem to calculate them manually, or coded in charting software.. you can combine WL and QT to get intraday charts with really good package from WL.do you homework,don't ask every question, which just arise in you head on forum..
    sorry for bit angry tone,but when you read same questions again and again day by day-it is really boring and prove that most of people prefer create new post with their list of questions unstead using search..
    Good Luck!

#23     Sep 21, 2003
  4. demonet

demonet

I am quite familiar with using the standard search here on ET and have done it many times, although, often, I can't seem to get the specific answers I need.

I apologize to you Bob that I am new, but everybody here has been a newbie--and many before we could even use the internet to trade.

I used to be on a AV board (hometheaterforum.com), and, yes, newbies were sometimes annoying with repetitive questions, but they were still tolerated because we all shared the love for the topics enough that we would either explain it again or at minimum, point them to a thread that might be useful.

I am no stranger to searching on the web, or searching on this board. Although, I must admit, I have not come across a subject matter with the sheer volume that online trading has. I have compiled a lot of information for myself thus far, but sometimes, one just has question(s) that need to be ask directly, as opposed to pouring through 50 threads to get the answer you need.

I am sure you are not being rude, but IMHO, you are being a bit intolerant.

That being said, I appreciate the information you did provide, I just wish it wasn't said with such an overweening tone. I understand the daytrading rules...(if I said something erroneous, please point it out to me). When beginning my switch from web-based (Ameritrade) trading to direct-access swing/trend/momentum trading, I was told by someone (here I believe) to get a a quote provider, a broker, and a chart provider. So I went about doing just that. I went by the lists here at ET and thought I had made some intelligent decisions, but thought I would also throw out my ideas to the board to get a reaction. I am just trying to things right. If what I have is overkill, then I will seriously consider skipping eSignal and use QT.

I had looked at WL, but had thought that I needed to have a chart provider work in real time (at first). I am having trouble getting a TWS demo to run, so I don't know if that will be enough. But I can assure you, I will investigate it.

I have tried to end these posts with the utmost respect for those who reply to me by thanking everyone for the "hand-holding". I understand this is topic may be a bit tired, but I thought there was some camaraderie here nonetheless.

#24     Sep 21, 2003
  5. Bob111

Bob111

i just can't find info in english, but i'm sure that you can setup WL with QT and TWS. here is german link to it-

http://www.wealth-lab.de/cgi-bin/WealthLab.DLL/getpage?page=QuoteTracker.htm

#25     Sep 21, 2003
  6. demonet

demonet

Pardon the possible paranoia, but was that a jab at the "lazy neophyte"? Or could you honestly not find a an english link?

#26     Sep 21, 2003
  7. Bob111

Bob111

oh...now i'm bad boy,because i did not find link in english(even, if i provide reasons why). do you need real time chart provider? QT-is one,but-if this still not good enough for you for free,you can combine real time data from TWS->QT->WL. i just trying to proof a fact that this is possible to do. i did saw it somewhere, but i just dont remember where it was. i'm not going to spend my weekend digging inet to find this information for you. i just type in yahoo-wealth lab+quotetracker-and give you a link to it...if you interested-keep digging. BTW-another nice solution-TWS->MSRT->Tradestation

#27     Sep 21, 2003
  8. Demonet,

First : you may want to check again for the DTP rules, but I think you're allowed only 3 trades of same equitie per 5 business day.

Second : You did the right thing going with IB, even their customers' support s*ck!, you still have ET :). At least, with IB, during your learning period of direct trading, you will not be ruined by the commish.

Once you setup the TWS screen, I think you will understand. Under bid/last/ask columns, you have the refreshed quotes, that is IB's data feed, 10$/mth. If you don't subscribe to IB quotes, you will have nothing under those columns.

( I may be wrong, but I found that the quotes I have from IB are the same from the Island book. My Esignal quotes for bid/ask is different (I think it's from all exchanges). )

Third : Since the decimalization of stock prices, Lev2, IMHO, became just brain candies. You cannot rely on that to trade... unless you want to scalp for 1 penny or less.

Fourth : as for chart/data feed, you could find something else cheaper than Esignal for now. Fibonacci is a common study, therefore most of vendors offer it in their software. Stay 'cheap' for now, and later, when you want to move to Esignal, they usually give discount for those who move from another feed vendor.

Last : I'm a bit surprise that nobody mentionned this, but unfortunately, it will take you a while to get from your initial 10K to 25K as you mentionned earlier. :(

Cheers!! :)

#28     Sep 21, 2003
  9. demonet

demonet

I don't know all of the acronyms. MSRT is not recognized by me.

Also, here is where a lower-knowledge individual like myself is mistaken. Even though TS is listed as software, it also says it is direct-access, so to me it appeared that the software was used if you were a brokerage customer with TS. So I took TS out of my list of possibilities. IF TS can be used alone as a chart provider with another feed (or its own feed), my error....but does it really show I am not using any diligence?

#29     Sep 21, 2003
  10. Bob111

Bob111

i'm talking about old version-Omega Prosuite 2000i,which cost about $5000 couple years ago))), but can be found in web for free now)))))

try ET search once again for MSRT-

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/searc...d=216602&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

hope you will learn some day,how to use it properly )))))))))))))))))))))(just kidding)

metaserver rt-
    http://www.traders-soft.com/metastock/msrt/

also can be found without spending a penny..:D :D :D

that is so f.. true :D :D :D :D

peace

#30     Sep 21, 2003