Suggestions for DTE for Iron Condors

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronAndeanCondorSPX, May 27, 2019.

1. Ive traded multiple DTEs for Iron Condors on SPX and have found that the 35 day to 28 day DTE is the "sweet" spot. What are some of your opinions on this subject?

2. Tastytrade research shows 45 days as the sweet spot.

IronAndeanCondorSPX likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Rather than flogging the dead "45-Day Rule" equine, I'll just point out that if they had ever actually proven anything with their "research" :rolleyes: , it would never have to be repeated. :confused:

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. gaussian

gaussian

Sounds like confirmation bias to me.

5. Just curious to see what others are doing. No real "right" way given a persons capital at risk on a given trade / theory of "building a trade". I will phrase it better next time, sorry about that!

6. Shed some more light on this tommcginnis!?

7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Some nearly-random thoughts:
    • tastytrade's leader is always trying to get their empirical guys (Tom Poston?, Al Sherbin, Jacob Whuzhizname) to state uncategorically what is impossible to state -- that, faced with an optimization task in three dimensions (being delta, theta, and vol) that it is possible to optimize using a single dimension. Can't be done. And they squirm, cough, and let the other guy prattle on.

• The market *does* recognize each of [delta, theta, vol] risk, and prices accordingly. Mostly.

• We, each of us, carry a natural bias as to what frame of market movement -- not just price+volume, but optioneering dimensions of [delta,theta,vol] risk, as well -- that we happen to favor. It happens that TT's biases (theta>delta; vol>delta; theta>vol) match at-least passably with the vaunted "45-Day Rule", but modify trade types, vehicles, or duration in the least, and the so-called "proof" evaporates like a sand castle in a wind.

(Emphasis on "wind" :wtf::confused::rolleyes::D)

Last edited: May 28, 2019