Suggestions for a low cost email server

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by SideShowBob, Sep 22, 2006.

1. jebara

jebara Guest

You should look at godaddy.com

They have an email service for domains you get as domains and a total of 2gigs of storage. You can also get a nice webmail log in screen and pop access.

#11     Sep 24, 2006
  2. i runa hosting company.

you are referfing to 'budget hosts' - the ones that offer single-digit/mth charges.

be forewarned - there are lots of issues with these companies and if you thruely think that decent quality hosting is that cheap - well - check out www.webhostingtalk.com - read some of the horror stories about others like you.

bottom line - for a service that cheap, do not expect any type or reliability or support - you forefit those at that price.

#12     Sep 25, 2006
  3. read the items at the link in my above post - godaddy has it's own problems. they don't even run their hosting, and god help you if you buy a domain from them and want to leave.

#13     Sep 25, 2006
  4. Why do you want to host your own mail server just curious? So that you get to have your own domain name? If you just want to have your own domain name why not try these steps

Get a domain name through GoDaddy

point your NS1 and NS2 to everydns.net for free DNS hosting.

Point your MX record to Google hosting after you sign up with them https://www.google.com/a/

It gives you secure pop3 and secure smtp and they maintain archiving and backup. nothing to worry about.

#14     Sep 25, 2006
  5. gpzany

gpzany

steve,

to clarify,

I know about Dynamic DNS, and it works...

my comments about the windows platform has nothing to do with Argosoft's software or any other mail server software... it is the platform it is running on.

I should know, I am a network administrator by profession... and the number of machines I come across from the average Joe who has spyware all over their Windows machines is beyond funny. Would these poor sods know anything about zomby bots taking over their machines and using them as spam relays? or as attack machines? Many of them not a clue...

You may think it's running NASA, but would you let a guy drive a car without a license? what makes you think these guys would know what damage they are doing over the internet due to Bill Gates only thinking about dominating the world rather than properly securing his operating systems... and then have these untrained people setting up email servers all over the net without knowing the implications of what they are doing...

#15     Sep 25, 2006
  6. #16     Sep 26, 2006