Suggestion to the CBOE

Discussion in 'Options' started by nitro, Feb 20, 2010.

Would you like to see an ATM vola product for equity options?

1. Yes. That would rock.

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. I don't have enough information to make an educated decision.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. I don't care

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. kxvid

kxvid

Nitro, what about basis?

You are assuming that the option contract would track ATM Volatility with no basis. In reality, this is impossible. The market would price the option at a premium or discount depending on the market expectations for the ATM Volatility of the underlying equity option contract. The basis spread would make it much less effective of a hedge.

#51     Mar 28, 2010
  2. If we can't swap vola, can we at least swap gamma?

#52     Mar 30, 2010
  3. nitro

nitro

Well, how can there be a basis? If there were, there would be an arb by buying and selling the vanillas from which it is comprised, no? Any differences from the vanillas would have to be due to financing or some other weird thing that differentiated from vanilla options, I think.

#53     Mar 31, 2010
  4. nitro

nitro

http://www.cboe.com/data/variancestrips/intro.aspx

#54     Sep 2, 2012
  5. heech

heech

... wow.

Trading in SPX variance strips will be fully electronic. No quoting will be permitted; only “limit” and “day” orders will be accepted. Market and GTC orders will not be accepted.

And you ended up with a strip of options. I get the idea, and it makes sense in theory... but I mean, who wants to end up with a long strip of options (perhaps with far OTM stuff) they have to manage?

Say you sell 1 var strip on day 1... and end up with options ranging from 900-1400 in strike. Prices move down 5% over the next 5 week... and if you buy back 1 var strip, now you buy back.. what, 850-1350? So now you're long 850-900 and short 1350-1400?

#55     Sep 2, 2012
  6. Almost seems to be a product catered not toward traders but rather the banking industry.

#56     Sep 2, 2012
  7. sle

sle

This is mainly targeted to sell-side traders/MMs who are managing variance books (which I did for a few years). It's not as big of a deal as you think, I've had variance basis positions of millions of dollars in vega notional. The main pain is managing the deltas.

#57     Sep 15, 2012