suggestion: Mutual Fund partner for IB IRAs

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by amg, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white17

white17

I was looking at IB's fee schedule for IRA's and felt it was pretty extensive. i.e. expensive. But it would be nice to have shorting capability.

#11     Jun 28, 2003
  2. u130747

u130747

I just upgraded my ira, now just waiting for approval.

I even got all the questions right this time.

Bert:D

#12     Jun 28, 2003
  3. I thought IRA 's are not allowed for active traders?

or is that only new contributions ?

#13     Jun 28, 2003
  4. #14     Jun 29, 2003
  5. Nonsense. Many futures brokers offer 'self-directed' IRAs in which you can trade essentially all of your account. I've perused the IRA tax workbook - one can purchase real estate, antiques and most any type of asset in an IRA. The IRS admits it can't even afford to pursue known tax evaders - that they would crack down on actively managing an IRA is just south of ludicrous.

Re GreentraderTax' comments: The consultants/advisors always want to make it sound more esoteric and borderline than it really is in order to increase the perceived value of their services. One has to listen critically and reach their own conclusions.

#15     Jun 29, 2003
  6. could still there be a relevant difference between investing and trading in an IRA?

#16     Jun 29, 2003
  7. None whatsoever.

The fundamental difference between investing and trading is your holding period. They are otherwise indistinguishable. The IRS couldn't care less what your average holding period is.

The only relevance is if a broker actively encourages churning funds that are meant for retirement. That is an issue between the client, the broker, and the courts however. Given that the IRS wasn't going to collect taxes on the funds anyway, it doesn't have an interest in the matter.

#17     Jun 29, 2003
  8. Uni

Uni

Stupid question for def (or anyone): I thought that margin was not allowed in tax-deffered accounts and that was the reason for the inability to go short. If this is true, how can one trade futures in IB's IRAs since futures trading requires margin? Please set me straight, I've just rolled over a substantial 401k into an IB IRA.

Uni

#18     Jun 30, 2003
  9. In this instance you are using the term 'margin' too losely. The prohibition is on purchasing assets for an IRA with borrowed funds. When you purchase shares on margin, that is what you are doing - buying shares w/ funds borrowed from your broker.

When you post 'margin' on a futures position you are not borrowing funds but posting a bond as security against potential losses. There is no prohibition on futures per se, long or short, in an IRA.

Uhhh ... did I get that right?

#19     Jun 30, 2003
  10. Uni

Uni

Sounds good to me, thanks Blue.:)

#20     Jun 30, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.