suggestion: assign a # for each post in thread

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by DMcWilliams, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I haven't given this a whole lot of thought, but it just occurred to me that it might be handy if each post within a thread was numbered to make referencing back to a previous post easier. I think if you think about it could really make for a better experience. I just don't know how difficult it would be to implement.

2. +1

Agree 100%. That is a badly needed feature on ET.

3. Joe

Joe

DMcWilliams, I think the quote feature is already in place. This seems a lot easier then a number system?

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

I have suggested this a few years ago to Baron, but I guess he thinks if it brings in money and not broken, don't mess with it.

Basicly EVERY message boards numbers each posts. It would be easier to refer to or find posts and so on, but I don't hold my breath.... We could even bookmark individual posts, instead saving the whole thread.

5. JamesL

JamesL

+1

It's an option that is included in the vBulletin software that I believe this forum is built on.

6. Give this piker his money back!!! oh wait a minute,, this site is free:eek:

Rennick Springer out :cool:

ps. Try not to blow out your account,, your IT consulting ain't cutting it :p

7. Quote is not the same as a numbering system, which is used for link backs.

Say you want to link to a specific response in a thread that has 1000 pages. You want the post in the middle and want to email it to someone, link back to it somewhere else on ET... how do you do that?

Hop over to TL to see an example if that is not clear.

8. I just noticed that each post appears to be given an unique post # (you can see when you do a search) but that # is not quickly found on the actual post.

So all that is needed is to take the data that is already there, but put a hyperlink on each post so you can use that w/o having to find it in a search function.